Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Puzzle 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

zekeman

Mechanical
Aug 30, 2004
US
Defyiing law of angular momentum?

Here is a fun puzzle for you purists.

How is it that a kid sitting on a swing starting at rest can, without any help, always cause the swing to oscillate?

Please explain.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

in space there isnt gravity

thanks, I needed a good laugh. what do you suppose keeps the earth moving around the sun, anyway? rapid thrusts of its legs?

could a shuttle propel itself through space by this method?

not at all.. you need a gravitational pull to generate it.. in space there isnt gravity

The gravitational acceleration at the orbital height of a space shuttle is not that much less than on the surface of the Earth. That's what keeps it in orbit, rather than flying off into space.

The difference is that on a swing you can get the rope inclined to vertical, by standing and leaning forward for instance, but your centre of gravity is still directly vertical under the pivot. If you now change the tension in the rope, by squatting down for instance, this will generate a torque which will set up a small swing which can be amplified.

You can't do this in a shuttle because the line of action of the gravitational force is always exactly through the centre of gravity of the craft. The same applies to a swing with a vertical rope. You need to get the rope off vertical before changes in the elevation of your centre of gravity will have any effect.

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

dahhh, wasnt thinking.. but you wouldnt beable to do the same things as you do on a swing in space.. you dont have a fixed point to rotate on.. without sounding to stupid i should say much more.. LOL :-X

This is a good one.

I think the reason is that the swing is constructed of a rope (or chain) that is of finite thickness. By leaning forwards and backwards, the kid is actually creating higher tension in the fore, followed by the aft fibers of the member, and in so doing, he (or she) is able to get tiny oscillations started in the system, at which point it's off we go. In a perfect system where the attachment to the rigid structure is frictionless and meets at an infinitely small point, the kid goes nowhere.

It's the only thing that I can think of.

Engineering is not the science behind building. It is the science behind not building.

Here's a little model. It is a compound pendulum, with a motor at the joint. For the first 29 seconds it rocks its legs each way at the resonant frequency of the swing.

Then it has a little rest. The swing keeps swinging.

Then it uses a control algorithm - legs forward when moving forward.

There's no friction in the model. The chain on the swing is a rigid link. The seat/body is fastened to the 'chain' via a rotational spring, this doesn't seem to make much difference but stops some mathematical problems.

Why, since you ask, yes I did have the day off.

I wonder if replacing the rigid chain by a series of links makes a difference?

Cheers

Greg Locock

I rarely exceed 1.79 x 10^12 furlongs per fortnight

Nice model.

I recall force being applied where my hands held the chains. And motion too, therefore energy being shifted. Only on the forward part of the swing though. Tucking the knees under and leaning forward on the back swing I can't yet explain in simple terms.

- Steve

If you've ever tried to sit in a swing that was completely static, not even moving a mm, and tried to start it swinging with nothing but leg kicks, then you know it's a long process.

That's why most kids get a push, or push off with their feet on the ground to get it moving first.

IMO, all that's really going on is the kid grabs the chain or rope a couple feet above the seat. Holds that portion and what's above it in place, then kicks his feet out until his body is parallel to the ground or nearly upside down, this makes the portion of the chain below his hands start swinging a little. When you relax that grip, the whole chain/rope swings back rather than just the portion below your hands, then repeat that step and the swinging momentum gets larger and larger with each leg kick.

Cool question thuogh.

... I suspect ADAMS. Greg is a well-known jockey. I divorced it a long time ago, but it it's really fun for non work related games (I did planetary motion models).

- Steve

Thanks Steve.
I hear many good things about it. Think I will try to get my hands on a trial version.
I know that could be done in say Matlab by solving the DE and linking it with a real-time plot, but I suspect ADAMS makes this less time consuming. Not to mention its probable 3D multi-dynamics capabilities.

[peace]
Fe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back