Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Puzzling electrical readings taken at VFD bypass contactors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbcd

Industrial
Feb 6, 2005
US
I have a question concerning an electrical test reading taken at the VFD bypass contactors. This VFD provides power to a 15 HP motor for an air handler unit. To check resistance across my contacts on my contactors I take voltage readings under load for each phase (from L1 to T1, L2 to T2 and L3 to T3). Readings are checked at the 3 contactors (bypass, VFD input & VFD output). I also do the same check on my overload which is in parallel to the load side of both the bypass and VFD output contactors.

In the VFD bypass mode, I get zero volts from line to load for each phase of the bypass contactor. The readings for each phase at the overload is also zero volts. In the VFD mode, I get zero volts from line to load for each phase of the VFD input contactor. At this point all readings taken are normal, but when I check the VFD output contactor I am puzzled by my readings. All readings at the VFD output contactor are 2.1 volts for all phases. The readings on the overload are also 2.1 volts. All six reading are exactly the same down to a tenth of a volt. When I raise the VFD speed to 60 Hz, all readings rise to 3.2 volts.

I assume there is a logical theory for these readings and would appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Except when you want to know the voltage drop across your contacts....
43cuc6f.gif

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back