PVC ASTM D1784 vs. D1785 and ASME B31.3 Table A326.1 Unlisted Components

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkal321

Mechanical
Jul 10, 2007
US
Hi,

What is the main difference between PVC ASTM D1784 and D1785 related to PVC "Flanges" Class150 Sch. 80 ASME Drilling, "Ball Valve", "Y-TYPE Strainer". As related to ASME B31.3 Table A326.1 Listed & Unlisted components.

The parts are designed and ordered through the Process Dept. and the qualification falls into our Dept. for Stress qualification. The PVC flanges and valves are specified as ASTM D1784 which you could see is Unlisted per ASME B31.3 Table A326.1

I work on a project where one of the main requirements is the material and components are "not unlisted" but are listed per ASME B31.3 Table A326.1. If not listed then we are required to provide a simple qualification to meet the minimum design stds. connected to minimum wall thickness and design pressure and a lot of paper work that could be avoided if the Material selected is listed.

My PVC experience is limited as related to the code but as far as my knowledge and experience since the transferred material is "WATER" I asked the question why not pick a listed material rather than choose unlisted material and avoid the hassle of qualification especially the spec calls for PVC.

Any clarification information is very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back