Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pvc for diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

littledan

Electrical
Jun 3, 2002
CA
I am an electrical looking for some info. I am building a test fixture which consists of two tanks and a pump between them. Will PVC be sufficient to plumb the two tanks and pump together provided that the liquid will be diesel fuel? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From a safety viewpoint I recommend metal pipe or tubing. PVC will be easily damaged by abuse and will melt in case of fire. Either way it can become a fuel source to an unsafe situation.

As a plant engineer I would not let a rental, test, or demonstration unit with such construction in the facility.

Piping like this will likely fall under something like a "fuels utilization code", or a fire code. I can't imagine any jurisdiction, or insurance company permitting anything but metal piping for this application, and specifying what it is they want in the way of material, and joints. In any event, it won't be a huge cost to comply with whatever the requirements are.

I agree with the two comments you have already received.
If this is a classed installation note that classification requires steel pipes for flammable liquids.
Note also that class forbids threaded connections for pipes carrying flammable liquids.
Even though it is sometimes possible to do otherwise in installations without classification we should not forget that most of the time class rules are based on long experience and safe practice.
Good luck.
Lauri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back