Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PVC pipe support span

Status
Not open for further replies.

robinxie

Chemical
Nov 13, 2001
CA
Does anyone know what the support span of PVC pipe, say, 4" pipe, schedule 40 without pressure (just for conduit only)? Where could I find the general description regarding this issue?
Thanks.

Robin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

robinxie,

To get the best answer, ask the vendor of the pipe you are using, or the vendor of similar pipe....

Support span does depend on the fluid in the pipe as well as the temperature. The numbers for a 4" NPS pipe would be from about 9 feet to about 16 feet (my experience only)

Estimating a job ???...... Use 10 foot spans

MJC

Well... Normal span for conduit is 10ft. BUT that metal conduit! PVC is another story! IF it is dealing with temp.s over 150 deg F, then it needs to be continuously supported. 100 deg F should be support approx. every 5 ft. the supt. should cradle the conduit for a length equivalent to approx. 1/2 to 1 pipe dia. and not less than 120 deg.s of pipe dia. & supt. should be free of sharp edges. this supt. should provide a guide without restraint in direction of movement. Heavy fittings should be supported on each side. Good Luck! ...Mark

In my experience, the support span for 4" pipe is normally
4 to 5m.

This is PVC. so, better we have to ask pipe vendor.

thanks,
uthaya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back