Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PVC Valves must upgrade to Steel Valves? (ASAP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thien2002

Mechanical
Aug 13, 2002
US
Dear Gentlemen,

We have 2 PVC Butterfly Valves, within rating parameters, in our Mechanical room within the steel pipelines of Chilled water Supply & Return (40-56F). Should I upgrade 2 PVC Valves to Steel material, should it be the same grade of steel in the pipelines? The PVC Valves are still brand new, just installed last year.

Thank you very much for your prompted response!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure 'upgrade' is a good term. The pvc valves are twice as expensive as cast iron resilient seated butterflys.

PVC butterfly valves are rated to 150psig@73F for sizes 12"NPS and less and 40F is within it's limitations.

Class 125 (good for 200WOG) cast iron body butterfly valves with EPDM or BUNA-N seats and a standard bronze or aluminum bronze disc would be your best bet provided your pressure is within it's parameters (I've see district chilled water at 230PSI)

I just went back to the Mechanical Room and like you said, we will keep these PVC valves since they are 150 by Spears USA. I think they are durable enough for our 40-56F chilled water system. And I look at all other steel valves, the valve handle are rusty condition. So I think PVC to steel is not an Upgrade but a Downgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back