Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PVElite tip 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Although I've never worked with PVElite, try inputing the sump as a nozzle. Then add a head or weld cap instead of a flange. I've been able to do that using a couple other softwares.

Chaulklate,

what is software you use for strength calculation of pressure vessel, compress software?

how can i add a head instead of flange in "nozzle element detail"? i can not find input data box for head there. just have input data box for flange only.

please advise me how i can do that more detail step by step. I've adready read PVElite manual but still can not do that.

thanks.

MJCronin,

Yes, it is also concerned to Pressure Vesssel. It's PVElite software for pressure vessel strength calculation.

sum pit on horizontal vessel just for drainage. please see attachment.

regards.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=01803768-ce66-45bc-b6f8-3a0cd5b01cbe&file=8474L-420-A2001-0810-111-020.pdf
I use Aspen Technologies B-Jac Teams program. I would design it as a "nozzle dome" on this program. This allows use of an elliptical head. Other programs may be similar, I do not know.

Yes, I currently use Compress.

1. Input the sump/boot as if it were a nozzle.
2. Do NOT put a flange on the nozzle.
3. Input a new head (this will probably come up defaulted as head #3 provided the other vessel heads are already input to your design file).
4. After completing the first head input screen, a message box will come up asking if you are trying to input a boot head...
5. Follow the directions in the message box - select the nozzle, complete the head inputs, etc.

This is how it works in Compress, not sure how PVElite works.

I've also worked with Advanced Pressure Vessel, it's easier with that software. Again you input the nozzle without a flange, then simple pick a head instead of a flange.

In PV Elite, it is also similar procedure.

1. Enter the sump as a nozzle (you need reinforcement check.)

2. Then, on Miscellaneous part of nozzle dialog, select None for the Flange class. Click on OK to close the nozzle dialog.

3. Complete your vessel model, then add an additional head, you will see that node numbers have incremented. Change the diameter to match that of the nozzle, go down to Element Additional Data and check the box to indicate a Sump Head.

4. Next, you will get a listing of all the nozzles. Select the nozzle with which you want to connect this sump head.

You can add nozzles on this sump head. You can also add nozzles on sump as well. Check these screen shots of such a model,

Here is the sample PV Elite input file.

Best regards,
Mandeep

hi,

my procedure like this:

-head--->shell--->head--->manway--->sump as a nozzle without flange--->sump head--->select parent nozzle.

but i can not flip this sump head even though i clicked on flip icon.

pls instruct me.

Hi,

Make sure that the sump head is the current element before you click on the flip element button. You can use the arrows to traverse the elements or just click on them to select an element.

If you are still having issues, report it to the COADE technical support. You can get the contact information from Help menu -> about PV Elite.

best regards,
Mandeep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back