Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PWHT for Low Alloy Steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandarkardekar

Mechanical
Sep 14, 2014
IN
PWHT, is it mandatory for low alloy steels such as SA-387 Gr.5, Cl.2 plates for all thicknesses?

In my project vendor has provided PWHT for all such cases for entire vessel. please someone guide.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mech2325, thank you. As I see in Table UCS-56-4 applicable in this case, General Note (a) says PWHT is mandatory in all conditions, exempted for certain pipe and tube cases and ERW case.

Which means other than exemptions it is PWHT mandatory for vessel made up of SA-387 Gr.5, Cl.2.

please help me on my Code interpretation.

Adding to above, which means my vessel shell, dished head, girth flange and blind cover entire to be PWHT.

Is there any more conditions which can exempt PWHT for this situation?

Yes. But SA-387 Gr5 has a chromium content of 5% which is more than the 3% limit mentioned there. So this material is not exempted from PWHT as per my understanding

I checked it on COMPRESS software and found out that it gives you a message that "PWHT" is mandatory for all thickness for this material. Although i dint find any reference in the code.

mandarkardekar: Yes i read it but in this also it is exempting a certain limit of thickness from PWHT. Guess, COMPRESS should change its warning message of "PWHT mandatory for ALL thicknesses"

COMPRESS gives warning for plate material only. Exemptions in Code are for circumferential welding of pipe and tubes for certain cases and thermocouple attachment weld.

Do you have any interpretation about plate material where it is exempted? I think for all thickness of plate material PWHT is mandated by Code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back