Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PWHT Requirement for Fillet weld

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamy08

Materials
Feb 24, 2017
PK
Anyone can tell me what is the PWHT requirement for fillet weld.

I have to Fillet weld a plug with Leg size of 12 mmm.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is no 'requirement'.
There are various codes, roughly divided into structural and pressure equipment. Each has its own rules, based on material, dimensions, ultimate application of the equipment, and other inputs.
We will need much more information to begin to answer this.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

i just saw on ASME Sec VIII Div . 1. If fillet is less than 13 mm, PWHT is not required. See table UCS-56-1 FOR P.No.1.

What I am not sure it is than mandatory if fillet is greater than 13 mm throat.

What information u need more to begin?

I need complete words from you actually, this is not social media.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

If you thickness of vessel and nozzle reinforcing pad is 20 mm each, you would need a fillet weld of 20 x 0.7 = 14 mm
What should you write on your data sheet??
For shell, there is no PWHT requirement (thickness less than 32 mm) and assuming no hydrogen and lethal service. But the fillet weld size falls in the category of pwht now
What to communicate to your vendor in this case??

in fact for some welds in lethal service pwht is not mandatory with limitation described in note (b) (3) of table ucs-56 for P No.1.

kiad, you are wrong. See UW-2 (a) Lethal service
......When fabricated of carbon or low alloy steel, such vessels shall be postweld heat treated.....

Regards
r6155

If PWHT is mandatory for welded joint of all thicknesses for lethal service (UW-2), how can you avoid fillet welds during PWHT? (Note (b)(3)in Table UCS-56-1)

Regards
r6155

I could have explained a littel better...PWHT is mandatory for vessel and most exemptions will refer to other parts of UW-2, but some things may not be done prior to PWHT.

Standard Designation: BPV Section VIII Div 1
Edition/Addenda:
Para./Fig./Table No:
Subject Description: Section VIII, Division 1 (1998 Edition, 1999 Addenda); UCL-51 and Table UCS-56
Date Issued: 03/22/2000
Record Number: BC00-080
Interpretation Number : VIII-1-98-108
Question(s) and Reply(ies):

Question (1): A pressure vessel is constructed of P-No. 1 and P-No. 8 materials, and is intended for lethal service. The vessel is PWHT. After PWHT, but before performing the hydrotest, the interior of the vessel has a stainless steel lining applied using plug welds. Does Note (2)(c)(5) of Table UCS-56 in Section VIII, Division 1 permit the liner to be applied after the vessel has been PWHT without the need to perform any additional heat treatment?

Reply (1): Yes, provided that the preheat requirements are met.

Question (2): Does UCL-51 permit the liner to be repaired by welding to the P-No. 1 base material after the vessel has been PWHT without the need to perform any additional heat treatment?

Reply (2): Yes, with the acceptance of the Authorized Inspector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back