Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Q for pond design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Civil/Environmental
Oct 19, 2006
CA
What shall I use as criterion for sizing a pond for develpoment project?

1/Is it Q=CIA/360 (for metric)?
2/If yes, which I? 10min 60min, 120min 1440min?
3/ Or shall I use Rain Hydrograph?
I tried both and results are far apart (20/50%)Generally Rain Hydrograph gives much smaller quantities.
4/ Is the choice dependent of the development area size?

Thank you and have a nice day.
Dragan Andrejevic Civ. Eng.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The rational method (Q=CiA) gives a peak flow, not a volume, and therefore cannot be used for pond design. You need to use a hydrograph method, typically a 24-hour storm duration, but check with the review agency.

Thanks,
I was thinking of Q=CIA/360 and than multiplied by Tc time (say 10min*60s/min) (or may be 2hour with 2hour intensity )for the total quantity, but as I said, it comes far apart with Rain hydrograph.

You cannot use the Rational Method in that way. Search the forum for the "Modified Rational Method" which is sometimes applicable, but you can't go wrong with a hydrograph method.

You also should check the municipality where you are working. I am finding that in Tennessee and surrounding states are not allowing the Modified Rational Method. I agree with Francesca that the hydrograph method is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back