Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quadraature Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaskGear

Mechanical
Apr 10, 2008
CA
I have a bit of a dilemma; I have a bi directional meter, the flow output uses a quadrature Frequency (+-90 out of phase). The device that receives the signal cannot accept this signal, but two separate frequencies. Is there a device that can convert the quadrature frequency in to to separate frequencies (one for each direction)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you mean 2 square waves, frequency proportional to flow rate?
What about sending the signal into a PLC and let that figure out the direction
Give us some more details
Frequency, voltage level, output type, make model etc.
regards
Roy

Yes it is a 2 wave frequency proportional to flow rate, in the forward direction they are +90° out of phase and in the reverse direction they are -90° out of phase. The output type is an open collector. I don’t voltage level off hand. There is no PLC on site just the meter and a blow computer that cannot handle this type of signal. Is there a simple device that can seperate the frequency to two seperate.

SaskGear,
I tried a web search for Quadrature Decoder, it seems this terminology has been hijacked.
Anyway an incremental encoder vendor might have a solution.
The following link describes salvaging parts from a computer mouse, there must be a quadrature detector chip in there. On that thought does your blow computer have a mouse input, perhaps you could wire your speed detector in there somehow.

I will be interested to see how you finally resolve this problem.
BTW what's a blow computer?
Regards
Roy

Roy it's just the opposite of a suck computer.

2pt4b3o.gif

Keith Cress
kcress -

LOL
A Blow computer is just a typo for a FLOW computer used to calculate the flow volume and adjust for Pressure and Temp

I got some clarification on the Frequencies
It is actualy 2 frequencies one gives the open collector signal and the seconed is the same frequency only out of phase depending on the direction of the flow.

What the "FLOW" computer needs is a seperate frequency for each diredtion.

Itsmoked.
OK, I owe you one! Silly me! LOL
SaskGear,
Yes, I understand what the quadrature signal is for so as I understand you only need to separate the 2, frequencies is that right?
As I said the encoder vendors might have something or you could make your own using the components from an old mouse (older the better I think) I'm almost certain that the mouse output is one or the other depending on direction of travel, should be easy to check.
Please post the model No of the transducer/and computer. I assume they are from different vendors otherwise the computer would already take care of it.
Roy

From what has been said, it appears to me that the FLOW computer wants two pulse streams, one for positive flow and one for negative flow.

So if you have quadrature signals A and B, use a D type Flip Flop with A to the D input and B to the clock. The FF will be set or reset depending on the direction of the A/B signals. Then use the FF outputs to gate (ssy) the A signal using two AND gates.

Two double the frequency, Exclusive OR the A and B signals.

Itsmoked, Hey! why didn't you like it when I suggested it, would be a CMOS FF then?
You didn't think of D type did you?
He He

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back