Qualification for design/calculation of B31.3 compared to Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janimi

Structural
Nov 14, 2017
DE
Hi,

I am struggeling with the requirements as per latest revision of B31.3. We are located in Germany so I don't really understand the requirements in detail.

There are 4 main criteria:

(a) Completion of a degree, accredited by an independent
agency [such as ABET (U.S. and international), NBA
(India), CTI (France), and CNAP (Chile)], in engineering,
science, or technology, requiring the equivalent of at least
4 years of full-time study that provides exposure to fundamental
subject matter relevant to the design of piping
systems, plus a minimum of 5 years experience in the
design of related pressure piping.

In general does that mean that I need to have 4 years full-time study in engineering with a subject of piping? So general mechanical engineering would not count?
Plus 5 years of piping design experience?

(b) Professional Engineering registration, recognized
by the local jurisdiction, and experience in the design
of related pressure piping.

Is this a special thing in the US or is there anything compareable in Germany? I never heard something about that.

(c) Completion of an accredited engineering technician
or associates degree, requiring the equivalent of at least 2
years of study, plus a minimum of 10 years experience in
the design of related pressure piping.
(d) Fifteen years experience in the design of related
pressure piping.
Experience in the design of related pressure piping is
satisfied by piping design experience that includes design
calculations for pressure, sustained and occasional loads,
and piping flexibility.

Point (c) and (d) are no interesting because I dont have the required experience.

Thanks in advance.
Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Janimi,

for others, this is section 301.1 - Qualifications of the designer

My reading of this is:

a) The 4 years is of a degree with the "fundamental subject matter", so a mech eng, materials, chemical engineering degree should teach you the "fundamentals" associated with stress, strain, material properties etc. So not a history or economics degree or an MBA...

Then yes, 5 years experience of piping design.

b) Yes PE is a US / Canadian thing, and I don't know what Germany is exactly, but something like a chartered engineer status (UK) or Eur Ing would be equivalent. Basically something where an independent body has certified your education and also your experience to then be awarded a certain status with in their system. Other locations have similar requirements to the US whereby you can't practice or call yourself an "Engineer" without being registered with some government body.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

LittleInch,

thanks for the fast feedback. So for the first case MBA in mechnical engineering would be enough as you already said because of more than 4 years of study (additional to the 5 years of experience)

For case b I already thought that it might be some special registration type of engieer. Its good that you are confirming that.

Thank you very much, that helps!

Basically, one should be professionally recognized in their country in a manner that allows legal practice of engineering and have at least 5 years of pressurized piping engineering work experience. For which that experience should be working directly under the supervision of an engineer already qualifying to those requirements.

Probably, MSc is both recognised in Holland and Germany. Although zee Germans are quite keen on their herr dokter ingenieur or diplomierter ingenieur, if I’m not mistaken

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back