Qualification for to work in Canada 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREERAAM

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2015
IN
Hai,

I am cleared this year International welding technologist from IIW, with diploma in mechanical engineering along with IWT is it possible to work in Canada? PE exams are mandatory in Canada for engineers i know but i can work in Supervisor category in Canada right? or I need Bachelor Engineering for the Canada to work even in Supervisor that category.

Am 10+ Years experienced in fabrication and manufacturing companies at QA/QC.

REGARDS,

G.SRIRAM.

Dream,Dream,Dream Dream transforms in to thoughts.And thoughts result in action

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should do your research based on what process the government of Canada imposes on applicants, and what criteria they must meet to be accepted.

Note that Canada currently has a surplus of unemployed or under-employed engineers with a bachelor's degree, but there might be a shortage of people with welding trade qualifications. There is a quota for "economic immigrants".

There is even a wikipedia page:

Hai,

SparWeb (Aerospace)

Thanks for your answer i am even ok to work as welder in fabrication work there in Canada if proper job and salary paid by them.

What is welding trade qualifications? Is it possible to explain me?

REGARDS,

G.SRIRAM.

Welding is governed by the Canadian Welding Bureau. Look up their requirements online.
Engineering would be governed by each province. Some are probably simpler than others, but all will require some sort of vetting, examination, experience assessment. Best to look at the location you want to move to and focus on their requirements.

From your experience, try to find a steel fabrication shop and get the hours/supervision there. I think it'll be beneficial. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario are probably your best bets.

skeletron (Structural)

Thanks for the detail..

REGARDS,

G.SRIRAM.

One thing to keep in mind is that immigration is controlled by the federal government but licensure for professions is largely controlled by professional associations that fall under the umbrella of provincial government. This means that the federal government may give you credit for an overseas credential or experience for immigration that the professional associations will not recognise - meaning you can get into the country easier than you can actually practice.

geotechguy1

Easy to immigrate but getting job is difficult is the point your saying?

REGARDS,

G.SRIRAM.

Provincial licensing agencies pay lip service to recognizing foreign experience while simultaneously having requirements that are hard, if not impossible, to achieve outside the country. It isn't limited to engineering, either.

Unfortunately there's a reason that they do that, Brian - in Ontario only 30% of engineering graduates are actually able to enter the profession due to extreme competition. Ottawa grants entry to enough overseas professionals that essentially the markets entire demand for professionals could be met via immigration. If Provincial licensing agencies weren't dicks there would be zero opportunities for domestic graduates and we might as well close all university programs like engineering, law, medicine etc.

An engineer from India that was in our 2nd year, had applied and the Man Assoc wanted him to take a few courses. He dropped out of second year and the University accepted his credentials; he left 2nd year and enrolled in a master's program, instead.

I sometimes think that those that can't play engineer, become employed by the professional engineers or become plan examiners or code writers.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Universities will recognise academic achievement that the professional associations do not.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

If you can convince employers to hire you and you are willing to start from junior-level jobs, your background won't hinder you to be hired. But it will depend on the competition. If another applicant has similar background but more local experience, employers may favor this applicant.

A little dated, but as far as I'm aware from living and working in Ontario, not too much has changed. I'd imagine that the percentage of people with engineering degrees who are actually employed as engineers or engineering managers has fallen in the past 7 yrs, but I doubt that OSPE or any of the other engineering bodies in the country give two hoots in hell to find out how much.

If you immigrate to Canada with the intention to work as an engineer, and you haven't read this report cover to cover, you are not going to get any sympathy from me when you end up driving a taxicab.

(

moltenmetal

Thanks for sharing.

REGARDS,

G.SRIRAM.

mltenmetal said:
If you immigrate to Canada with the intention to work as an engineer, and you haven't read this report cover to cover, you are not going to get any sympathy from me when you end up driving a taxicab.
Driving a taxicab in Canada may not be a bad choice from financial perspective. Working as a professional in Canada may not help you earn much money. You may feel proud. But the reality it that your annual income may be lower than that of a skilled worker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back