Qualified 2 welder using 1 test coupon (AWS) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aliq298

Industrial
Dec 29, 2011
MY
All,

Can I qualified the 2 welder using 1 test coupon only according to AWS D1.1? Which clause i should refer to? is it the trade designation equal to trade name?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sure. /sarcasm.

Which of the two welders actually did all of the welding on the one coupon?

(Was the second a fire watch? The test coupon is for confirming and testing the actual welding performed under controlled conditions. How can two welders do one coupon?)

the situation is like this, welder A is a performed GTAW for root&hot pass and welder B performed FCAW for fill&cap at 1 test coupon. i already refer to AWS D1.1, but i didn't see any sentences for weld metal deposit.

newbie engineer

While this isn't exactly the same, the concept is very similar. This excerpt is taken from the code interpretations available at the AWS website.

Subject: Qualifying Two Welders on One Joint for Pipe
Code Edition: D1.1:2006
Code Provision: 4.30.3.1 and 4.19.1.1
AWS Log: D1.1-06-I20
Inquiry: Based on 4.30.3.1, is it allowed to qualify two welders on the same joint, each of them welding half pipe circumference, from top center to bottom center (either uphill or downhill progression)?
Response: No.

Best regards - Al

I would say, yes, it probably (most likely) is possible to qualify two welders in this case, as long as each welder always did the same part of the process, with the same equipment, and to the same procedure. After all, you are supposedly testing the quality of the weld and process as it well always be done, and in its completed form. Ask the people who wrote the spec. you are working to, and also ask AWS. The AWS answer that gtaw quoted is for a much different situation. And, AWS said “No” because one test might be from either welder, but not both in the same sample piece. Thus, we don’t know which welder was qualified by that single test, at least one of them wasn’t tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back