Qualifying ASTM B16 C36000 Material Under BPVC Section VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgtman9

Mechanical
Jul 30, 2009
US
Hello:

I am trying to qualify this copper alloy under the BPVC. It is currently qualified under B31.1 Code Case 175, however, I need to use it under the BPVC. Is there a code case in the BPVC or a possible indirect way to get this material qualified? All help appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unfortunately it cannot. What is the scope of 1750? I just need a way to tie in this material to BPVC as the code of construction. Recertification sounds long and costly, am I right?

Code cases don't have a "scope." The "inquiry" is as follows:
"Under what conditions and limitations may the following materials be utilized in the construction of the bodies, bonnets, and yokes of pressure relief valves, housing for breaking or buckling pin devices, and holders for rupture disks covered by the provisions of Section I; Section VIII, Division 1; and Section X?" And one of the materials on the list is ASTM B16.

If your material meets the requirements of a permitted specification and you know what you're doing, recertification is a week and a few hundred dollars. But the sky's the limit if someone stubbornly insist on using a material not permitted by code. I've certainly seen people take that route.

Ok, I agree... I have a whole lot of stock that is ASTM B16, where do I start the process of getting this recertified? Thanks a lot for your help.

See Section VIII Div. 1 UG-10. Compare your existing material test results to SB-283 to see if it fits. If any tests are missing, you'll have to get those redone.

For section VIII I believe you are only permitted to use listed material with stress values that appear in section II. No other material would be permitted.

As an aside, B16 C36000 does not carry tensile performance requirements unless specially requested by the purchase order. Only hardness is required for the spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back