Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quality Assurance Program 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berniedog

Structural
Dec 19, 2005
US
We are a small structural firm seeking work with a large industrial company that requires that we have a QA system. The system must document all revision, design preocedure, communication etc.

Does anyone know of any examples for struc. firms or of a consultant who can help?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Bryan,

I don't know where you are based to sort out easily your customers' specific requirements. Try to establish, whether they require from you the Quality Management System acc.to the requirements of ISO 9001:2000 standard or any other standard(QA is the older term acc. to ISO 9001:1994 version of this standard) or is it enough for them to have provided some specific documents such as: project procedure manual, project execution manual including inspection and test plans, organisation charts, responsibilities matrixes etc. for a particular job.

Considering you have mentioned about "design procedures" and "communication" I suspect they mean full QMS acc. to ISO 9001:2000 (design is the 7.3. clause of this standard and the communication is the clause 5.5. of the standard).
The next question is whether your QMS system is to be certified by an independent certification body (third party) or not.

When you are sure what they actually want then consider employing a consultant. I am not able to recmmend anyone at the moment because I don't know where you are based.

As far as world-wide known structural and enginering consultancy companies having certified QMS are concerned, try to explore websites of Ove Arup (UK)- structural engineers, Fluor (USA)- engineering, procurement and construction including construction project management for the petrochemical industry,
EC Harris (UK?)- engineering consultants, CH2MHill (UK?).

If I am provided with some more details from you, may be I would be able to help you since I've been involved in third party assessments of QMS for several years.

Regards,
iceclass1994

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back