Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quality of Modicon PLC and Motion Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghann

Automotive
Feb 27, 2003
GB
Has anyone used Modicon Premium or Quantum PLC/Motion controllers? On paper they will do the job we require but having only used Siemens and Indramat in the past I am not sure about the ease of use, flexibility or reliability of the Modicon range.
How does their programming environment compare to Step 7?
Any feedback is gratefully received!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As Modicon Premium and Quantum PLC/Motion controllers go hardware wise they work well, we have had few hardware problems over the years, at least no more than any other PLC. In almost every application they will have same type of hardware, as their competitors do.

Step7 is far better than concept.... I have used both. I will try to find more time later to go into detail. If I were you call your local dist. and get a demo copy of Concept and see for your self. Also Concept is Very expensive. Unless your customer has Modicons already push them to S7.

What I wanted to hear to be honset :)
I'll grab a Demo of Concept, strange that Schneider are usually quite reasonable when it comes to software costs, Siemens are usually the ones charging through the nose.

Thanks

I had all kinds of problems using the Modicon PLC, Concept and their Servo Control cards. I can't remember the name of the drives I used but I could look it up they WERE NOT compatible with the servo cards. We kept getting feedback faults. I did this job about 4 years ago. Since then I have 2 more with the lessons I learned that were much smoother USE SOMEONE ELSES VFDS, Yaskawa is what I ended up with you also must have line reactors and mount the VFDs in a seperate panel from the motion controller and feedback wiring. All 3 jobs went into Square D plants we were specd into using all Group Schneider components. The Concept software was very buggy but when I called with problems they would fix the software and send update disks I never had any company do that before. Good luck with your project.

Paul Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back