Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quantity of Sulpher in gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marine/Ocean
Oct 26, 2007
AU
One of our pipe line transport gas 292 TJ/day. Compersition
of the gas from the main plant shows that 0.497 mg/m^3 of sulpher in it. Can any one tell me how to calculate the quantity of sulpher collected per day under the given conditions ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you can get your volumetric flow rate (Q ), then
Quantity of S collected = Q (m^3/day) x 0.497mg/m^3 in mg/day.

If you do not have your volumetric flow rate, try to get the pressure, temperature and molecular weight of your gas.

density of your gas = (Pressure x Molecular weight)/ (Gas constant x temperature x gas compressibility factor)

Then your volumetric flow rate = mass flow rate / density

TJ/day is supposed to represent a volume flow rate. This industry has always used some bizzare units, but the tendency today to state pipeline flows in energy terms is among the oddest. He has a pipeline spec that states the minimum energy content per unit volume. You need this value to solve the problem

David

I've never seen a pipeline or compressor that moved a BTU or Joule, They can move mass or volume or even moles. Just the the ol thermos question and answer, (statement, a thermos can keep hot things hot and cold things cold. The response is How do it know?)

dcasto,
This isn't the dumbest set of units your industry uses. At least it is only one step from "stupid" to "sensible" some of the others are several steps.

Compressors compress what is there. If I compress one MSCF of methane then I've compressed 43.43 lbm and 1.01 MMBTU and 1.066E6 Joules. They are all the same number of molecules. Calling them TJ instead of BCF (as long as you've specified the heating value of the gas) is just convention.

David

Here's where its beyond dumb. We get charged to my gas by the BTU. If the gas is 10% N2 90% methane, I get charged 10% less than if it were pure methane, but the energy, work, is the same. Likewise, a gas mixture of methane and ethane is charged more than pure methane.

The system was set up because the regulators had the wool pulled over their eyes. The transmission companies made huge amounts of money for the first 5 years. Then as the rate baseing kicked in, they are not making any more money, but the guy shipping high BTU gas pays more than the guy shipping low BTU gas, it should be the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back