Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quarter turn Fasteners

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbennett

Aerospace
Jan 20, 2005
US
All,
I have posed a question in another thread of this site thread725-113102. I am looking for some high-strength quarter turn fasteners for a modification we've accomplished on a DHC-7. Please review and let me know if you have any additional information/ideas. I'm coming up empty with my search thusfar.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Assuming you've looked through Camloc and Dzus fastener catalogs, you could also try Alcoa Fasteners.

Another place to look - take a peek at the 1/4 turn fasteners on the transmission wall of a Bel 212 / 412. These fasteners are self-retaining, easily removed, and support structural loads in the heli. May be the kind of thing you need.

Steven Fahey, CET
"Simplicate, and add more lightness" - Bill Stout

I have indeed perused the camloc and dzus fastener catalogs extensively, as well as all of Alcoa's publications. I've been in contact with engineers at Alcoa several times now, which is where I found the fasteners currently being used. They are, however, very maintenance unfriendly, and need to be changed if at all possible. I will see what I can find on the fasteners you mentioned. Thanks for the info.

Sparweb,
Do you have any information on where I can find that fastener data, or a part number I can look for? I haven't had any experience with helicopters or where to find inside info on parts therein.

Thanks,

James Bennetts
Aerospace Engineer

Thanks for the tip Spar, but without being a member to that site it doesn't give any data on the fasteners, unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible.

As far as Avibank wktaylor, thanks for pointing me there. They have the same type of fasteners that I've already used though, so no luck. I think it's come to the point that they're either going to have to live with it as is, except a slightly larger fastener than what's currently in place, or go back to standard screws which the customer is adamant about not using. Thanks for all the thoughts/direction regardless.

James Bennetts
Aerospace Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back