Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about assemblies and file folders 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHR

Mechanical
Feb 7, 2007
HR
I'm self taught in Catia, so I beg pardon if I'm asking a bit trivial question... Is there any way of having Catia use 'relative paths' when making an assembly with components placed in sub-folders, and how to do it? E.g. I can have an assembly in one folder and everything works fine if I rename or move files to another folder, but when I insert or create components in a subfolder (to keep things tidy &c), Catia stores full path to those files, and then renaming the original folder or moving the whole assembly to another folder causes problems... I'd find it very useful if I could make Catia use 'relative path', like subfolder of assembly folder named 'this-or-that', so that when I move it the whole thing would work as in original folder.

Any help would be much appreciated. TIA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can change the search order. Use Tools - Options - General - Document - Linked Document Localization.

move Relative Folder to the top
then Folder of the link
then Folder of the pointing document

Shut off locations you may not be using as this will speed up file load if Catia is searching for a document.
Enovia
SmarTeam.

Regards,
Derek

Win XP64
R20/21, 3DVIA Composer 2012, ST R20
Dell T7400 16GB Ram
Quadro FX 4800 - 1.5GB

Guys,

Sorry for opening this discussion again this late but I have moved all my Catia projects from my old NAS (network attached storage) to a new location on a storage server in my network.

So for example, the old path was like
Code:
\\Cubestation\1-Proiecte\20120004 - yyy Wings\01-Documente primite de la Client\BE 203-12_BPM structure+emplanture_BPF aboutissants_2012_02_15\BT_12_0208-BPF-ENS-PLAQUEUR-PANNEAU-BATI-VOILURE 010\62501Z01-S5710-01000-0-00210P01.CATPart

and the new path is
Code:
\\nas\data\xxx\1-Proiecte\20120004 - yyy Wings\01-Documente primite de la Client\BE 203-12_BPM structure+emplanture_BPF aboutissants_2012_02_15\BT_12_0208-BPF-ENS-PLAQUEUR-PANNEAU-BATI-VOILURE 010\62501Z01-S5710-01000-0-00210P01.CATPart

You can see that everything remained the same except for the \\Cubestation being replaced with \\nas\data\xxx

The error I'm getting is (as you can see in the picture below):
Type: Error
Description: Problem reading document. Load operation failed

I tried following the steps above but it didn't solve my issue.

If anyone could advise something, I would be forever grateful !

Thanks.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=15d889e3-e9bc-4d5d-9c2f-2a6d8506c75c&file=error1_CATIA.PNG
I may be mis understanding the question but can you not just reposition the files into subdirectorys etc, open the product (this will throw up errors about not being able to locate the parts) and then use the "File > Desk" command.

From the Desk window you can right click on the parts with location errors and select "Load" and browse to the new file location of the parts?

spggodd, you could do that too. The relative folder search order is handy if you want to move an assembly from a server to your local work area without having to pick new file locations.

ladless, you doc search path should find it's way. It appears you moved the directory structure from 1 area to another. On a side note, if you are not using Smarteam and Enovia VPM then I would suggest deactivating them in the search path.
In a windows explorer does this
\\nas\data\xxx\1-Proiecte\20120004 - yyy Wings\01-Documente primite de la Client\BE 203-12_BPM structure+emplanture_BPF aboutissants_2012_02_15\BT_12_0208-BPF-ENS-PLAQUEUR-PANNEAU-BATI-VOILURE 010
bring you to the file?

Regards,
Derek

Win XP64
Dell T7400 16GB Ram
Quadro FX 4800 - 1.5GB

Yes, brings up the file just fine... Only Catia is having issues with this...

I forgot to mention, for what it matters, that I am using Active Directory in my network... and that the Catia user is a member of AD... Has permissions to that location though...

Thanks and sorry for the late reply.

Have the user copy the final directory (BT_12_0208-BPF-ENS-PLAQUEUR-PANNEAU-BATI-VOILURE 010\) to his/her desktop. This will show you 1 of 2 things. 1) End user can not properly access archive directory. Minimum permission is read only. 2)Path and file name combined are not too long. I have seen this issue with other software. I am leaning towards path problem because I tried to create the entire path folder structure on my desktop and Windows will not allow me to rename the CATPart to 62501Z01-S5710-01000-0-00210P01.CATPart

Regards,
Derek

Win XP64
Dell T7400 16GB Ram
Quadro FX 4800 - 1.5GB

I copied everything on my computer, put it back on the server and the problem is still there.

I mentioned that on the server, the users have full permissions on the folders.

copy from the deepest possible folder onto your computer and try to load it from there.

Win XP64
Dell T7400 16GB Ram
Quadro FX 4800 - 1.5GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back