Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question About CNC And Software/Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarasan

Computer
Aug 21, 2006
CA
I am very new to this so I apologize if I come off ignorant in this area, please bear with me. My company has a HL-90 Tracing System, that is part of a Koike Aronson IK 1200J Cantilever Coordinate Drive Optical Trace Cutting Machine. We want to get CNC set up as everything is manual right now. I've talked with the company that manufactures the HL-90 and they want us to send the unit in for their techs to set it up and it will be approximately $10000 to get it set up.

My questions are:
1. Is that a fair or accurate price?
2. Is a specific companies hardware proprietary to their software and whatever else needs to be done?
3. Is this something our company could do ourselves and cut the price dramatically?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's not unheard of for CNC machine vendors to extort several thousands of dollars to enable a function that's already built into a machine, by simply changing a few stored numbers.

But it sounds like you're proposing to add CNC to a completely manual machine, for which the quoted price could be quite reasonable. I guarantee that homebrewing a CNC conversion will cost you more than ten grand.

We could probably be more helpful if you would reveal what an Optical Trace Cutting Machine does, and why you didn't buy the CNC version in the first place.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Hi, thanks for the reply. A tracing system automatically controls the motion of a cutting tool by following a line or silhouette pattern and is intended for use on small cutting machines.

It also mentions that the CNC interface is available as an option.

I talked to a rep at the company and he basically said, 'the cost including the CNC and the software, if we were do do it is around the $10,000.00 dollar range. This price includes the nesting software which is valued at 5k. Also in this price is an addition of encoders onto your motors with cables. Connecting to your PC would be you responsibilty, any IT person or someone familiar with PC's should have no problem doing this. We can also make up the serial communication cable which would be extra, if necessary.'

I'm not too sure why my employers didn't get it in the first place, may have been the extra cost, may have been that they didn't have anyone technically sound with pc's at the time, I'm not too sure.

Thanks again.

I suggest you snag an older laptop to act as 'the' PC for that machine, because new computers may not have serial ports, and primitive software (like typical nesting programs) may have trouble communicating with USB serial ports.

It's probably worth buying the serial cable from them, just so you can hold them responsible for getting the entire system up and running before you accept it.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back