Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about draft on surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundevil98

Mechanical
Apr 5, 2001
US
I'm asking this for a buddy of mine.

He's new to UG (NX) and is having problems drafting surfaces. As far as he knows, he can only select a plane or an edge as the neutral reference for the drafting angle. He wants to know if it's possible to select a surface as the neutral reference.

Can anyone give us some help?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I understand the question correctly you are talking about the draw direction (step one: pick surface or edge of a surface to taper, step two: pick draw direction). If this is the case you can use the pull down menu to use any vector construction method you wish (an existing line, two points that you specify, X axis, etc etc). Of the options available, I like to set up a datum axis as my draw direction. One big advantage of this is your tapers will be associated to the datum axis, so if you need to tweak your draw direction all the associated tapers update automatically.

Even if it lets you pick a surface as a reference, I advise against that. I doubt that it is possible unless the surface is planar because it would not specify a vector (use the u direction? v direction? surface normal? - at what point on the surface?). The datum axis gives you control; just be sure that it is ordered before the tapers (create it before the tapers or simply reorder it in the feature list).

Hi.
Sorry I can't answer your question However I understand exactly what you want. I.e controlling rib thickness where joining to main surface is important to avoid sinkmarks in plastics.
In Catia v4 & V5 you can pich a neutral surface or even a skin of surfaces(v4) as a neutral plane and then simply define your draft direction by line or plane.
I would be surprised and dissappointed if UG doesn't have that capability since it's regarded as a far better solid system than Catia v4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back