Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about Ferric Chloride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wade7575

Computer
Apr 29, 2018
CA
I need a bit of help with a question I have about Ferric Chloride.

I have sharpening stones made from a Copper Brass mixture that has Diamonds threw out the stone and over time the Diamonds wear down and you need to soak the stone in Ferric Chloride from what I was told for a little bit until more diamonds are exposed and that is how you refresh the sharpening stones.

My problem is these stones were made for people who make molds and you just use them by hand scrubbing the stone on whatever you need to remove material,I use these on a knife sharpening system that use's what's often called Edge Pro format stones where the stone are mounted to an Aluminum blank with a 45 degree cut at each edge of the Aluminum blank.

My problem is however the Ferric Chloride will eat the Aluminum blank and also one made from Stainless Steel,I read a post that another member made about PVC standing up to Ferric Chloride but I do not know where to get 1/8th flat PVC.

What about Plexiglass will it attack that as well,what do you guy's recommend that I could use that would stand up to Ferric Chloride and that I can also cut with a saw to get the 45 degree cut's at each end that I need.

Look at this link if you want to see the blank's I'm talking about the stones get glued to the blanks and if 3M Super 77 Spray will not work I will use JB weld as I have used it for other water stones in the past.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I had not heard of using ferric chloride for exposing diamond grit in a brass binder. I might find that useful. The more common method used with diamond saw blades is to cut glass or ceramic material in order to "sharpen" the blade for use with softer materials. The hard ceramic will wear the binder rapidly to expose the grit.
You can also coat or paint the aluminum to protect it from the ferric chloride. An epoxy coating should work.

These are the stones I use but I will be unmounting them by soaking them in Naptha and then washing them and remounting them to Polycarbonate I heard from a maker in the state's that would be a good choice.

There is another way you can refresh the stones and that's with Silicon Carbide powder but that has it's problems as well.

Here is a link to the sharpener I use the are extremely well made and every thing is machined very very well and most guys are blown away when they get their sharpener at how well the machining is on them,they are also made so heavy if you really wanted to and not that you would but you could use it as a boat anchor in slow moving water in a 12 foot small fishing boat for 2 to 4 men.

This is a review I did of the sharpener I was asked to do an in depth review so it is pretty long but lot's of picture's.

These are the stones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back