Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

question about footings

Status
Not open for further replies.

snalks

Civil/Environmental
Nov 26, 2005
US
The actual design footings for a three floor building calls for 2ft deep footing with reinforcement at 1 ft -10" from top.

The bearing rock is about 6ft from required elevation. the contractor wants to fill the footing pit with 6ft of concrete(4000psi) with the reinforcement provided at 1ft-10in from top. Is this an acceptable practice?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your contractor is right. I will do exactly the same. 4000 psi plain concrete behaves just like bedrock after cure. I have no problem with it.

With 6 feet of concrete, you may need to consider this "mass concrete". Additional reinforcing or other measures may be needed to deal with the heat of hydration and other effects.

I make them pour it in 2 phases. First phase is to pour the concrete to bring to bottom of footing grade. Then after concrete set for 7 days, the footing may be formed and poured. A cold joint is needed between the 'mass' concrete and the actual footing.

Your concrete doesn't need to be "maximum" strength. It can be of a low strength variety - a cement stabilized base course if you so wish. You certainly don't need reinforcement - it is, in effect, just a stronger variation of engineered fill - and why don't you just use a DOT standard base course material rather than concrete? Properly placed and compacted, it would be more than capable of supporting a 3 storey building.

I see this situation often. I agree with dmoler and BigH - first pour to reestablish the proposed bearing elevation with 1,500 psi concrete 'flowable fill' and a second pour for the actual foundation as previosly deigned and reinforced. Place concrete 5 to 7 days apart. Contractors usually fine working with aggregate in excavations greater than 4 to 5 feet deep difficult and time consuming. Flowable fill is quick. 1,500 psi concrete has adequate strength and is more economical than 4,000 psi concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back