Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about Locking a Sketch onto a Drawing view

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryandias

Automotive
Jul 28, 2006
CA
I made a drawing with some quick overlayed sketches, to show where to spray material.

They now want me to dimension the spray area, and I want to "lock" the sketch to the drawing.

I had to Hatch the sketch, while moving the drawing view out of the Sketch area. Otherwise the Hatch command got too confused by the background. I was doing this manually, and lining things up by "eye". When I start putting numbers on it, my lining things up is going to become evident.

Any ideas? (A concentric command would allow me to line the sketch and view up)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

figured it out.

Used the move command to move the sketch from Center to Center.

Is there a way to now lock the two together?

When you add 2D annotation to a model based drawing view in draft the most robust way to do so is probably to 'draw in view'.

Right click on the view and you should see the option.

This puts you into the drawing view at 1:1 scale.

Hope this helps.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

I understand that concept, but when I needed to hatch over an intricate model (hatching a whole circuit board - detailed model) the hatch command tends to get confused by all the lines.

I traced the outline of the model, and then moved the model view away so I had a clear slate + trace. Then used the hatch, then moved the model back under my "trace"

I was thinking about it, and probably could have used the "hide" command in the view properties?

Or maybe this is a case where layers would work? I haven't used them much but it might help.

However the draw in view will kind of achieve your locking together even if you make the hatch etc the way you already did.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Hi all,
Did you know you can put a drawing view inside another drawing view ?
So the one with your 2d stuff on it could actually be placed inside the model view, then the hatching will only see what's in the 2d view. You may need to use copy/cut/paste to achieve it, and unfortunately you will not be able to see the model view if you go to draw-in-view on the 2d view.

bc.
CAD2 Imagine Workstation
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

I think I know what you want to do...

Select draw in view, then sketch out the closed profile outline for your hatched area.

Don't attempt to fill the area by simply clicking for the hatch in the area you want - instead drag and select the outline you've just drawn first *then* click on fill and click inside your selected profile.

It should fill all of your profile instead of just the local bit where you click.

Could get tricky if you have more than one sketch in your drawing view although you could investigate layers like Kenat suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back