Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about NX on Mac OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave K

Automotive
Aug 27, 2003
US
I've been asked about this, but I'm not a Mac guy...how does NX work on a Mac? From reading, it looks like it's actually the unix/linux version of NX running on X11, on top of the Mac OS? Does this make it laggy, or other quirks? 3D motion controller issues?

-Dave

NX 9, Teamcenter 10

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

> it's actually the unix/linux version of NX running on X11, on top of the Mac OS?

It's more like ... MacOS and NX are both running on top of Unix.

But, yes, NX is using X11 and Motif for UI, so it doesn't look like a "real" Mac application, which will cause some people to turn up their noses. And there are a few odd functions that are not available because they are based on third-party SW that's not available on Macs. There's list in the release Notes somewhere, I think.

I did some testing a couple of years ago with a MacPro (aluminum box generation) running OS-X Snow Leopard and Win 7 on a separate drive running Boot Camp. The performance results all slanted to the OS-X version of NX. Primarily speed benefits while computing or recomputing patterns, etc. They were in some instances 10x faster. I probably attribute that to OS-X and Unix under the hood running things.

The bad part, it's NX running in X11 and nobody here could get over the 1980/90's Unix menus, etc. It's not a native Mac application at all. If it was written for the Mac, I am sure we would have gone that route as most of us here have Mac's at home, but we ended up on the more familiar GUI with NX on Win7.

There are several good NX on OS-X Youtube videos you can watch and see what it's like.

HTH,
Ryan

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Budde Sheet Metal Works, Inc.

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Solid Edge V20
NX8.5.1.3
TC8.3 in Testing
32 GB RAM, nVIDIA Quadro K4000

Status