Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QUESTION ABOUT PIPING STRESS ANALYSIS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOBLINTECHNIC

Mechanical
Mar 9, 2009
TH
When we make a piping stress analysis.

1.How we separate the sustain load and occastional load from the code and standard ?

2.ASME B31.1, Paragraph 102.2.4 tell me The maximum internal pressure and temperature allowed shall include considerations for occasional loads and transients of pressure and temperature by
(A) 15% if the event duration occurs for no more
than 8 hr at any one time and no more than 800 hr/
year; or
(B) 20% if the event duration occurs for no more
than 1 hr at any one time and no more than 80 hr/year.

Did the other standard can use this rule or not ?
Or this rule use to find the thickness of piping from ASME B31.1 only ?

3.what is the different point about Thermal expansion & contraction effect and Effect of support anchor thermal movement ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

GOBLINTECHNIC

Will you be using the ASME B31 Codes for Pressure Piping or will you be using another Code? You questions imply that you are trying to find parallels in the design logic of some Code other than the B31 Codes so if that is the case you should indicate what Code you will be using for design / analysis.

Your questions also indicate that you do not have a grasp of the fundamental concepts of the B31 Codes. You should search this forum (use the search feature) and find the MANY previous discussions on this topic. You should obtain one (or more) of the many good books that have been suggested in previous discussions and study these books.

Your question 1 and question 2 are asking about sustained primary stresses and your question 3 is asking about cyclic secondary stresses. Read and understand the differences between primary and secondary stresses and how they are addressed by the Codes.

If you have specific questions about specific paragraphs of the ASME B31 Codes for Pressure Piping you should cite the paragraph(s) and ask your question(s).

Regards, John

Thanks for your information and your kindness Mr.John

My company is a small and new company have only
pipng design group.

We not have the experience about piping stress and piping material knowledge&activity.

I think this webboard is helpful for me.

Maybe more helpful will be documentation from Autopipe,Ceasar etc. These are professional programs for piping analysis.
If You get trial version You can print help files. There are many valuable comments. I do not know Caesar but in Autopipe
there are many valuable hints and some basic knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back