Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Question about "ASME code key words" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonylai

Mechanical
Nov 29, 2011
TW
when I was read ASME CODE BOOK usually meet "Shall", "May not", "May can", "shall be".
Some people talks to me read ASME code keywords:
"Shall" is mandatory,
"May not" is prohibition,
"May can" is recommendations/Exemptions from prohibition, and
"shall be" is recommendations

so, I want to ask anyone this is CORRECT?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank "XL83NL" talk to me.
Check B31.3 applications, refer to para 300.2 Definitions and show it on under:
shall: a term which indicates that a provision is a Code requirement.
should: a term which indicates that a provision is recommended as good practice but is not a Code requirement.
may: a term which indicates that a provision is neither required nor prohibited.

Well, ASME may be what metengr says above... I've heard a different version:
ASME = Always, Sometimes, Maybe, Except​

Now, in addition to XL83NL's reference to B31.3, you could review ASME PCC-2 Part 1 paragraph 3.2. Which is a lot shorter than the B31.3 version. The definition for "should" is necessarily slightly different than that from B31.3, the "may" and "shall" definitions are essentially the same.

Thank for "jte" help and looking up "review ASME PCC-2 Part 1 paragraph 3.2".
Share it ..

May: indicates an action that is permitted, but not required.
Shall: an action that is mandatory. It indicates an action that is an essential element of the repair method that cannot be eliminated.
Should: an action that is not mandatory. It indicates an action that when performed, is generally considered to be good practice;
however, there are some circumstances when the action is not appropriate or required, so the word should is used to provide flexibility for the article to cover a broad range of circumstances. It is not mandatory unless so specified by others in the application of these articles.

Fantastic! I got it very clearly. [2thumbsup]

Have another code could check about "Shall", "May", "Should" data require?

Be careful. In some cases May is tied in to the acceptance of an ASME Designee or AIA or AI. So always consult your AI for acceptance or if you have any doubts.

General Blr. CA,USA

One major difference, imo, is that B31.x is a code of construction, and PCC is (acc. it's abbreviation) a Post Construction Code. The latter is not mandated by law, whereas B31.x is.

I know it's not the ASME, but the ISO 9001 states:

"shall" indicates a requirement;
"should" indicates a recommendation;
"may" indicates a permission;
"can" indicates a possibility or capability.

A little off topic, but a correction to XL83NL's statement above; PCC actually stands for Post Construction Committee. In the forward of these documents this is stated, and it is noted they are not Codes, but rather are intended to:
PCC-2 2015 Foreword said:
...provide recognized and generally accepted good practices that may be used with Post-Construction Codes, such as API 510, API 570, and NB-23, and with jurisdictional requirements.

The point on it not being mandated by law is correct, however.

jte's version of "A.S.M.E." is the one I am familiar with :)

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back