Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about reinforcing existing beams

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay156

Structural
Apr 9, 2009
US
I have a question. My structural software is giving me answers that don't seem to make sense. I'm trying to add a W section to the bottom of some existing W16x40's to reinforce them for a mill that's in the room above.

Now I first tried adding a WT, and a little WT6x13 worked. But the contractor wants to use a W instead, so I'm trying some. One with an equal flange width and thickness is a W6x20, so I tried that but it failed, by a lot. I've been trying bigger and bigger sections, but they're not working. What is so fundamentally different about having the W section's extra flange's worth of steel in there that would make it fail like that when the WT worked?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yeah. I can't believe I was so stupid. I noticed it yesterday just before I went home. Thanks guys for your help, even though I'm dumb. When I inputted the correct data, I got the correct torsion constant too.

Thanks

Hello jay56,
I can help you determine exactly why your reinforcements work or don't in RAM Advanse. Please contact me directly to discuss.

Due to forum rules I cannot post my e-mail here, but I am sure you'll find a way to contact me.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back