Question About Small Steel Beam for Ceiling Joist

Status
Not open for further replies.

snooktarpon

May 22, 2005
US
Hello,

This is my first post.

I am an aerospace engineer turned home theater designer/installer. I'm designing a home theater that has serious ceiling height issue. The original plan was to use 2x6 ceiling joists (note there is no floor or loads above the ceiling joist). The ceiling joists must hold 2 layers of drywall (5/8" and 1/2" thick) across a 14'x18' span. If I could replace the 2x6 with a lower profile steel beam, that will give a few inches of additional ceiling clearance (which is alot in this case). Are there small I-beams that could fit the bill?

Is there a website that would have some good info on this?

Sincerely,
snooktarpon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could use (maybe ????) small wide flanges or perhaps cold-formed steel studs but you really should have someone knowledgable take a look at it and design it for you. There would be a lot of liability involved if it falls in on a family. Also check ceiling grid systems. In order to use a ceiling grid system you will have to be able to support the grid from above structural members. A professional must check that. The grid hangs from members above that must take the weight. Grids do not support additional loads beyond drywall and maybe some very small lighting fixtures. Again you would need a knowledgable professional with those systems. Ceiling grids typically are about 1.5" tall so that might save you more room. USG and Armstrong are two manufacturers.

Other than really general ideas we can't do much else for you. These are some possible ideas, but you must have a professional familiar with the design of ceiling members help you with it.

I would just look in the phone book for a structural engineer and ask him/her about it. A dry wall contractor might be able to help you also. A lot of times they have professionals they use and could help you or perhaps even give you a bid to do the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back