Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about Softquadro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitsu50

Mechanical
Jun 26, 2003
US
Hi all,

I stumbled across this rivatuner/softquadro stuff yesterday, and was wondering if it can be applied to a Geforce fx5200 128mb card?

After searching several posts, it would appear that you can't do it with this card, and its juts for TI base cards if i understand correctly, but i thought i would just verify. Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, you will have most likely have got it from the Guru3D website. They also have a forum specificaly for RivaTuner with a number of threads about modding Nvidia FX cards. Here is one to get you started: . From what I could gather at a glance (I'm using it on an ATI card, so I'm not that familiar with the Nvidia problems) it is possible to do it using up to the 45.xx Detonator drivers (I'm also using some 'older' Catalyst drivers but the power in CAD app's gained makes more than up for it and I haven't had any compatibility issues with any of the app's I'm using yet).
Main RivaTuner forum page: Latest news, updates & FAQ's by the creator Unwinder: RivaTuner page on Guru3D.com: Here you should find everything needed to do the deed (well, I did anyway) or if not, don't be shy and ask the lads & lassies. They don't bite...they just nibble.

"Gimme dat stickwelder, will yer lad. No need to get all fancy wid'those modern drills." Apprenticeship Lesson 61

My only comment having heard some horror stories. Compared to buying a new graphics board, what is the cost and what are the risks? Be careful to assess this before you do anything.

John Richards Sr. Mech. Engr.
Rockwell Collins Flight Dynamics

There are only 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

I haven't heard any horror stories. Whats the worst that can happen? It doesn't work, you wasted a couple of hours trying to get it to work and you have to go back to the ordinary Detonator drivers...scary indeed. After all its not like you are doing some serious overclocking or other nasty things to your GPU by using RivaTuner's SoftQuadro, just unlocking whats already on the chip but the manufacturers had rather to charge you 2 or 3 times as much for it. Costwise, well last time I checked (like 2 days ago) RivaTuner was free. Add a few hours of your time for all the pokery-wizzardry and then compare to the prices of a good Quadro card and it becomes very much apparent that for the price of some tinkering I just saved myself a helluvalot of beer money [cheers]. Oh and to us who use ATI cards, we are really shafted since SW wouldn't run on my 9600Pro for love or money. Well, thanks to Mr. 'Unwinder' this little 'oversight' by the SW people is not a problem no more [rockband].

"Gimme dat stickwelder, will yer lad. No need to get all fancy wid'those modern drills." Apprenticeship Lesson 61

yup, good points. so far i have been unsuccessful, as the NVstrap options dont seem to show up in rivatuner....weird

anyone know of a tutorial on using rivatuner and softquadro. other than on unwinder's site? Thanks!

Mitsu,

I too had initially some probs with trying to prepare the drivers as described in the FAQ. Then I found out that was because it wouldn't work on the latest drivers just yet. After trawling through the forum on Unwinders site for a bit (crickey, message boards with some Russian thrown in are hilarious[bugeyed] ). I found eventually someone who offered an already soft-modded driver ready to install, albeit an older version. It did exactly what it said on the can and I can since use SW on my ATI board.
So, try it out on some older drivers first if you can't find something similar to an already soft-modded driver.

i've tried some older drivers with no luck, but tonight i'll try some others, since there are quite a few that are supported. Thanks again.

I was not being critical, just suggesting you tread carefully and deliberately when doing "non-standard" things. It all depends on your circumstances - sometimes it is appropriate and sometimes not.

......damn treehuggers..... always complaining..... interupting my spotted owl sandwich..... whar's me chainsaw..... ;-)

John Richards Sr. Mech. Engr.
Rockwell Collins Flight Dynamics

There are only 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back