Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question calculating process capability on box sortation system

Status
Not open for further replies.

calpoly

Industrial
Jun 5, 2003
US
Greetings fellow IE's,

I work for a distribution center where we have a sorter system that scans boxes from overhead and diverts the boxes down the shipping lanes and to the trailers. I am trying to calculate the Cp/Pp,Cpk/Ppk, but am having trouble figuring out if my Cp is accurate. I am calculating Cp on "no-reads" (failed scan reads) that are recirculated and passed through the scanning tunnel again until there is a read. Our volume fluctuates between 50k-120k thorughout the year and of course with the higher volume we have more no-reads. How can I determine an accurate Cp? If volume was a constant it would things easier, but is not. I thought of isolating no-reads for volumes at 50k, 60k, 70k, etc, but I do not believe it will truly give me an accurate Cp. The range is still quite large. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you used a p-chart, which would chart the fraction or percent of non-conforming events – no reads, then you should be able to first see if you have a stable continuous distribution. This type of charting would help you deal with the changes in volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back