Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question for mid-senior engineers / Credibility question 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustang462002

Civil/Environmental
May 15, 2014
US
Hello,
I found this great site looking for PE info. I've got a question regarding credibility.

I graduated in 2009 with a BSCE. I worked for 2.5 years in a ready mix asphalt and concrete company in the QC department. I later worked 1.5 years with a heavy highway construction company as a project engineer. Finally I've worked for 1 year with an engineering consultant in design and later construction management (same company and current job), I recently graduated with an MSCE and I'm studying for my PE and I applied.

Would you guys say I'm competent to be an engineering consultant construction manager. I feel as though I could play a bigger role in my position. I'm not sure my boss knows how good I am at putting out fires.

Any advice?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Welcome!

I'd say that without a PE, and a few years being in charge of your own stamp and the ramifications thereof, then nope. Not yet for management. Now, that doesn't mean you can't start asking to take on those fiery jobs with supervision and show your boss just how great you are. Go ask if you can get involved and have a couple ideas ready fast.

Good luck on your PE!

(and just FYI, since you're new here - we're not all guys.)

When the time comes that you know (yourself), that you are ready for such a situation, you won't need to ask anyone. On that basis it is a long way off right now. It usually means that in the first year or two you won't even approach a decent living standard. It pays to have sizable nest egg to support you and any family at the beginning.

Yes you should be able to be a consultant no problem. You've worked in a few different positions and for a few different companies which should have exposed you to a lot of different environments, people, and technical disciplines. There are plenty of ate up people doing all kinds of jobs, while you may not be the best you definitely won't be the worse. All that really matters it that you get the job done the way it was supposed to be done.

Think about the many ramifications that come with being a consultant. These factors are only some in addition to your ability to produce cost saving, excellent results. In the role as you have titled it, are there enough possible clients out there such that you can be successful? Do you know their top brass personally? How would your brochure stack up against competition, and there will be competition? Are you prepared to be sued, and you will be sued even if it is not your fault? Do you need employees and can you pay them even in slack times?

Thanks for all the great feedback.

I am currently working on trying to appreciate what work I have. I also am working on carefully looking at my attitude to make sure it's not the issue.

I have judged myself on how I work (its tough). The more I dislike what I'm doing the worse the quality of my work is. I do agree with doing the best work you can. I also can see how doing work I dislike could get me to a path for work that I would like.

I especially wanted to ask you guys how experience works, because I seem to find the "peter principle" everywhere I have worked at. "Peter principle", in business management the theory that most people reach their level of incompetence and get stuck at that position. I can't tell you how many people I've worked with that can't really function but have 10-20 years experience.

I have also seen in my short career many bright young engineers run away from positions where they are stuck at entry level for a couple of years working with peter principle people that actively work to keep them at a lower level.This is actually the main issue why entry level engineers leave positions.

I have seen in engineering design senior engineers hold interesting work for themselves and leave everyone else fighting over CAD work, paperwork and excel sheets. I don't think it helps anyone for an entry level engineer to have worked 1.5 years and still be doing CAD and excel sheets instead of working with senior engineers to understand the design process.

In my current position in construction management I have never seen anyone under 40 years and an engineer. So I can't comment on other young engineers in these positions. But so far its an uphill battle.

One more thought from a now 86 year old. It seems good that you are ambitious and wishing for more higher level work. I can only relate to my situation back then. After graduation from a 5 year of CE education I went on for a master's. In the process did some part time grunt work with an engineer. Upon getting the master's, that experience and the degree put me in charge first of a branch office and later various departments. However, all along I never hesitated to do grunt work that came along, even sweeping floors. In addition to the PE, think about advanced education, if even it means only going to engineering society seminars as the least you should be doing. These activities will not go unnoticed and also help with required continuing eduction for keeping your PE. Are you volunteering for committees in ASCE, and your state professional engineer's society? If, some day you wish to be a consultant, these activities also help you meet those that count. In the mean time look upon current work as good background for the future. I don't regret one hour of digging test pits or helper on a drill rig.

OG....I agree completely! I will be out doing auger borings and other field sampling in the next two weeks. I do my own sample prep for petrography. I cut samples from walls. I cut cores. It all gives me a "feel" for stuff......and that hasn't changed in 37 years of practice.

I don't do this because I'm struggling to make a buck...I make damn good money. I do it because it's part of engineering....and that's what I do. I'm a "consultant".

Mustang, I'm still under 40 and was sent to the field all the time at all my previous jobs. As a matter of fact, I was almost fired once for refusing to go to the field for an entire summer, in another state, until I announced (way earlier than intended and to save my job) that I was pregnant and that 95 deg, 90% humidity, sun, and scaffolding all day every day weren't great ideas. Now, I'm a sole proprietor so I do all the sides of each project.

I think every young engineer feels like you do. I know I did when I first started! And I'd almost bet you money that you'll someday look back and think wow, I really didn't know anything yet then. It's really hard to hear, but likely true. Get yourself into any work you can and learn as much as possible. I HATED HATED HATED being the shop drawing girl until I realized one day that I could create details in my sleep.

Don't start worrying about business management principles, unless you're heading for an MBA (SNORGY attack in 3... 2... 1...). Keep your head in your work and learn what you can from everything. If you let yourself get irritated by how incompetent others are, you'll be miserable. Really. And that part about not doing good work unless you like what you're doing... that can come across as immature and almost petulant. Be really careful about that. Just think - the faster (and better) you get the crap work out of the way, the faster you get to the good stuff!

Good luck.

Thanks SLTA, your comment makes me feel better. I have also been asking colleges in the same position as me what they think about their work. They feel more or less the same as me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back