Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question in ABAQUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrtuwair

Civil/Environmental
Jun 15, 2013
US
Hello all,

I am modeling a sandwich composite beam in ABAQUS. The material I am using is linear elastic up to failure. I defined E and v in the material properties but don't know where should I define the ultimate stress and strain (i.e. failure stress and strain). I tried to define them in the plastic model but the resulted force-deflection was nearly linear-perfectly plastic, which was not similar to the experimental result. The experimental result curve of the force-displacement at mid-span was almost linear up to failure which was caused by crushing under the loading point.

Any suggestion please in how to model the ultimate stress and strain of a linear material in ABAQUS?

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, there is a suboption in the Elastic property called stress or Fail strain fail but whenever I used it, it gave me this error "The *fail stress option can only be used with plane stress elements". I think this is because I am using solid elements in the model.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back