Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question, mirroring diagonal slots in SW

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarbonWerkes

Mar 15, 2006
US
Hi

I saw a chassis (on the site linked)- and was curious about how this diagonal slot pattern would be done in SW. Clearly one method is just the brute force approach, setting up start and end points with the Pattern tool and manually creating/copying sketches. This would allow for the varying slot lengths where the slots intersect the sides.

I could also just set the entire part up off axis so the slots are vertical, then use an extrusion op to create the endpoints - and then just let the CNC mill manage the rounded ends for those that are cut off in an extrusion operation. Seems like a bad approach though since the mill cutter diameter would have to be = slot width, and that can cause some finish problems.

I was curious as to if there is an easier way? I do some heat sink milling now and then, and this is kind of a cool look- no pun intended.

Rob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cheers- this looks like it may work for me. Im not clear as to if the shape of the end very varied assumes the path shape it follows, but even if- I can revisit those truncated ends manually-

Kind regards-
R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back