Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Question of Grammar

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigH

Geotechnical
Dec 1, 2002
TJ
I am a mid-Westerner in background so my grammar may not be up to speed but I have a question on grammar. A lot of our reports are written in English by native French speakers or Tajiks or . . . but not American or Canadian.

A Poll sort of. Which is correct:

1. The Contractor has not yet issued his Method Statement.

2. The Contractor has not issued yet his Method Statement.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not native speaker, but I vote for 1.

yourdictionary.com said:
Have yet to is defined as an activity, task, event or circumstance which has not occurred or which has not been done.

I'm from the southern US, so take this with a grain of salt. We're not noted for our grammatical prowess![lol]

The first example flows better for native english speakers. If I remember my 9th grade grammar, I believe the "has not yet" is a prepositional phrase that modifies the verb "issued". Given that premise, example 1 is more correct since the phrase is split in example 2, affecting the flow of the sentence.

Since I am the acting Chief Resident Engineer - I review almost everything that goes out - I and a Brit on our team are the only native English speakers although he and I are separated byh the Big Pond. The others are French, Turkish, Iranian, Tajik and all are fluent in English . . . My edits are always involving adding "the" or "a/an" to the text; matching verbs (sing or plural) with the subjects. Changing the use of nouns as a verb to sentences that match . . . do most of these make a differnce on the understanding - no, for the most part - but in my view, I want things to go out looking and reading professional even though for the Employer everything has to be translated into Russian. And, then the Contractor being Italian . . . . Mmmm

I like No. 1 too - it flows better for sure.

and Yes, PEinc. The contractor has started construction without final drawings, technical specs and method statements - so when we write, we remind that he has yet to turn in a MS.

Between the two, I also vote for number 1.

If I were writing it I would probably say: As of the time of this letter, the contractor has not issued his Method Statement.

To me this reads cleaner and takes away any possible ambiguity.

Mike Lambert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back