Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on applying moments and the Kinematic Coupling Constraint 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatDude3424

Jan 27, 2013
US
Hello everyone,

I am applying a plot of loads to a cylinder. The 3 force components and 3 moment components are to be applied at each end of the cylinder. I am applying the forces as concentrated loads to certain nodes, which is easy and a basic Abaqus operation. However, I am confused on exactly how to apply the moment data (3 components of a moment in which 1 component should cause twisting while the other 2 components should cause bending). Applying the moments directly to a node does not work since the solid elements do not have rotational degrees of freedom.

I am wondering if the kinematic or distributed coupling constraint would work for this simulation. I have used kinematic coupling successfully before to implement a twisting moment (torque), but I have never used it to apply moments that induce both twisting and bending. So, can the kinematic (or distributed) coupling constraint feature in Abaqus be used to induce 3 components of moment onto a cylinder (i.e., moments that cause both bending and twisting)?

Any help/advice would be great!

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The best way to do what you're trying is to use coupling.
Create a RP on the face of the cylinder. Then on constraint->coupling, select the RP as the control point and then the respective surface.

Then you can apply the loads and moments to that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back