Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

question on external reference files and journaling 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

multicaduser

Industrial
Jan 29, 2013
US
I use to import expressions with a grip program from a text file to update models, not liking how easily interpart expressions could be broken. However, we moved to a non team-center pdm system and the file path is now too long for grip to handle.

In looking to move this to a journal, would it be better to update expressions from a spreadsheet or a plain text file. My understanding in doing it from a spreadsheet (never used this before), is that the expression must be linked to the cell and "update for external references" must be run to get the features to update. My understanding may not be accurate. If that is the case then updating the expressions from a plain text file may be simpler.

The basic thought has always been to change the data in one place (file) that can be easily referenced.

Is my thinking just to old school and there is a better method? Does anyone have any advice in area?

(need to update my tag line, actually nx10/windows 7)

NX9.0.3.4 MP1/Windos 7 Service Pack 1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are expression functions that will let you reference cells of external spreadsheets. If you use these functions you will need to use "update for external change" or "refresh values from external spreadsheet", but no journal would be required. If you are writing a journal, you can use whatever source you like (text file, spreadsheet, internet, calculate values on the fly, etc). In the expressions GUI, there is an option to import/export from file; this uses a plain text file. I'd suggest using this same format as it would give you the option to use the journal or import/export manually.

Side note: they made some improvements to inter-part expressions in NX10. I don't know if it will solve the issues you were having, but it may be worth another look.

www.nxjournaling.com

There is the UFSession.Modl.ImportExp() function that does the same as the import from file option in the Expressions windows in NX.

You can start by exporting the expression files and edit as you like then load with one line of code in the journal. Then you don't have to read lines or cell it just loads all the expressions in the file.

These text files are a lot easier to use than excel.

Paul

Paul Turner
CAD & Process Engineer
Mastip Technology

Thanks for the replies, all very good information. Love this forum and as a grip programmer the replies really help with the transition. (oops, just revealed my age LOL) We have a non-teamcenter pdm system so there is some logic to figure out before coding, but these replies are good help.

NX9.0.3.4 MP1/Windos 7 Service Pack 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back