Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on Meshing

Status
Not open for further replies.

anmorgan

Automotive
Nov 3, 2009
US
I've been doing some FEA here recently in NX Nastran 5.0 and have been learning some things about meshing, but don't really have a huge grasp of dos and don'ts.

Therefore I am wondering if there are any tutorials or any threads about this?

Because I am having troubles with getting some models to mesh properly and faces are failing. These are pre-made models, that I really can't modify much.

Any info will help thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's the Unigraphics NX 5.0 with Nastran 6.0 software (noticed I didn't state it right at first). I'm not sure if the meshing software has its own name, but it is "embedded" in the Advanced Simulation of Unigraphics. I've gotten a little better and had some help from a colleague, but further understanding would be good.

I was looking for a more general approach, like what type of meshing should be used for what type of objects. I understand now the smaller the meshing, the better the analysis, but slower the solving.

Dear Anmorgan,
Actually we are at NX AdvSim 7.0 & NX Nastran 7.0, then since NX 5.0 release things have changed a lot, current version 7.0 is really powerful, and next one 7.5 -due for May,2010- will be another history ...
Well, to learn to use NX 5.0 Advanced Simulation FEA package my advise is to download & install from the SIEMENS FTP the program CAST 5.0: Computer Aided Selft Training, you have many tutorials & examples where you will learn how to mesh, how to apply loads & bcs, solve & interpret FEA results, good luck!.
Best regards,
Blas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back