Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on Paint Booth Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanbabs

Electrical
Jun 1, 2006
US
I have looked in the NEC and cannot find any codes for paint booths (or something similar) for lighting and panels, as far as explosion proof, etc.

Can someone shed a light on this?

Thanks.

Ryan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you spray latex then there would be no problem so you probably are not going to see any spray-booth = 'certain requirements' in the NEC. You need to determine if the chemical you are spraying is flammable while in a suspended state. If it is, then you must make sure your system is EXP (USA).

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

ryanbabs:
Are you installing or connecting to a pre-manufactured Paint Booth?
Asking this because most of them are already pre-manufactured and electrical specifications are usually given.
The elect. contractor comes and connects to the Paint Booth Panel/Load center by following NEC codes. The contractor doesn't worry about any "classified areas", because the classified area is within that pre-manufactured paint booth (which electrical is installed by the manufacturer following "hazardous location" NEC codes)

However, if you are designing/constructing a Paint Booth, then I will say you need to take hazardous locations into consideration. (i.e. flammable paint vapors, fumes, dust, etc). Check NEC 516.2

The booth is existing, but it was not "pre-manufactured". It also has some explosion proof lights on one side of the room, but not on the ceiling (which they want) or on the other wall. I'm not sure why they did this.

We actually have to redo all the electrical in the booth, and there is also a storage area behind the booth.

I plan on using Class 1, Div 2 fluorescent lighting, with the housing behind the ceiling, with glass covers.

I will also be designing a HVAC system for this room with one of my partners.

Thanks for your help.

ryanbabs:
if you keep reading NEC 516, you will find out more about "open" vs "enclosed" Paint booths (or Spray Booths, as called by NEC) and its adjacent areas.
Hope this helped..

ryanbabs:
I respect your decision, however,
check
NEC 500.5(B)(1)
FPN No.1 (2)
FPN No.2 (1)(4)(5)
Since this is not "pre-manufactured" Paint Booth, in my humble opinion, I would recommend to install/design everything under Class 1, Div 1.

I'm inclined to this, specially because of FPN No. 2 (4),(5) and also we don't know the amount of "vapors" concentrated in between the ceiling and the roof.
ok, Ryan, that's it, I got to go, hope this helped.

I don't know if it will help in your decision, but keeping the vapor content down may also reduce the classification necessary for the area. I believe OSHA wants to see a minimum 100 ft/min airflow face velocity for non-electrostatic spray booths. No standard exists for a waterwash spray booth or an enclosed booth with no openings. That value is designed to keep the vapor concentration in the booth below 25% of the LEL (lower explosive limit).

This link may help:

Following this recommendation, you may reduce any vapors likely to be found in a booth to negligable enough levels to neglect worrying about explosion-proof fixtures. Ensure these guys are using the correct fans and filters and you should be fine.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back