Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

question on pipe dimensions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgefherrero

Mechanical
Aug 17, 2007
ES
I have to build an extension in a plant to an existing pipe, and I do not know which pipe standard it is.

The outer diameter of the pipe is 154 millimeters, which do not correspond to the 6" standard ANSI or ISO pipe. It may be millimetric pipe, but the flanges welded to that pipe read "BS". So I suspect the pipe should be of a British standard. Does anybody know of specific British standard pipes?

Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

jorgefherrero

Can you check the as-builts and the previous project documentation, like the PO's to see where the pipe was purchased and under what specification? The plant must have the documentation available. I'd go there 1st.

Greg Lamberson, BS, MBA
Consultant - Upstream Energy

jorgefherrero,
If the flanges read BS then is the flange size and rating not visible also? British standard pipes generally follow the same O.D's as ASME. What year was the Plant/Piping system built?

What is the fluid, pressure, temperature, flowrate? BS 4564 ("loose backing flanges") seems to imply a fluid sensitive to contact to the piping. More info when asking others to answer your question is always better.

Some experts I know would write nasty things in response to such a query.

Are there any valve on the line? Can you get the wall thickness with an ultrasonic test?
It could be 6" tubing, or 159mm tubing.

I think you have a DIN pipe with OD 154mm / ID 150mm (wt=2mm) with a collar and then this lapped flange fitted. A company I knew once use DIN pipes with the appropriate DIN collar and then EN 1092 flanges (typical bore for this size will be 170mm (PN16)), ensuring that any non-circular pipe doesn't mess up the assembly (clearance between a ISO pipe and this flange is rather small). For them it's a low pressure, low temperature and non hazardous process anyway.

In this plant it is no hazardous process involved. Fluid is water at ambient temperature.

Regarding the flanges, we have BS type attached to DIN ones, and I have seen the same applies for EN 1092 and DIN for PN16. Both types have the same holes diameter.

Which is the reference for that DIN pipe with OD 154 mm / ID 150 mm?

Thanks and Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back