Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on Sect VIII UG-27 T-Min.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HightyHo

Chemical
May 23, 2007
US
Hello,
I have just recently taken a job within a jurisdictional state. When determining T-Min on a vessel shell under internal pressure only I use UG-27 with stress values out of Section 2 part D correct? The reason I ask one of our vessels onsite was calculated up to be a minimum required thickness of 0.150". But I pulled the design calcs from the manufacturer and the minimum required is 0.214". I was just unsure if I should use the calcs from the manufacturer or my calcs from Sect. VIII for remaining life calcs. I took the API 510 exam and am pretty sure the class was taught to use UG-27 for these purposes. Please if anyone can help that would be great and thank you in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes according to U-1 zero corrosion allowance. Thank you though. I am really just trying to make sure that I am going to the right place to determine T-Min for an Inservice vessel.

HightyHo, are both sets of calcs using same joint efficiency? Is pipe tolerance involved? Both same diameter basis, i.e. ID / OD? Any thinning involved as in a head?

Check those things as well as allowable stresses.

Regards,

Mike

You may be looking at a difference because the new Code allowables are HIGHER than that in years past. I think the change occurred in 1999 or 2000.

Joe Tank

Ok thank you Joe that is probably what the issue is about stress values. Also the manufacturer design calcs included wind, seismic load calcs that I believe made the t-min higher. Thank you everyone the help is very much appreciated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back