Question on spacing between shearwalls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cap07

Structural
Mar 8, 2008
US
Hi,
I've got a question about minimum spacing requirements between shearwalls. My client has a 48'x40' building - he has to have it engineered since the wall height is greater than 10 ft. Right now, his plans have an interior shear wall line in the middle of the building (I believe this was to meet the requirement in section R602.10.ll of the IRC - I listed this section below for reference). My question is - if I'm going to provide him with an engineered design, can I remove the interior shearwalls (provided I can show the exterior walls good for the loads)? Or do I have to meet the prescriptive requirements of the codes? The client would rather not have the interior shearwalls if possible....

Thanks,
Cap

R602.10.ll Bracing in Seismic Design Categories D1 and
D2.

Structures located in Seismic Design Categories D, and D2 shall be provided with exterior and interior braced wall lines. Spacing between braced wall lines in each story shall not exceed 25 feet (7620 mm) on center in both the longitudinal and transverse directions.

Exception: In one- and two-story buildings, spacing between braced wall lines shall not exceed 35 feet (10 363 mm) on center in order to accommodate one single room not exceeding 900 square feet (83.61 m2) in each dwelling unit. The length of wall bracing in braced wall lines spaced greater or less than 25 feet (7620 mm) apart shall be the length required by Table R602.10.1 multiplied by the appropriate adjustment factor from Table R602.10.ll.
Exterior braced wall lines shall have a braced wall panel located at each end of the braced wall line.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Prescriptive requirements are just that - prescriptive - if you provide a fully engineered solution that meets the non-prescriptive requirements of the code then of course you don't have to meet the prescriptive requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back