Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Question on Splitter Diagram 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD P.E.

Mechanical
Oct 17, 2021
US
I am working on gaining a better understanding of the operation of towers and am reading through "A Working Guide to Process Equipment".

My question is on the attached photo:

Feed flow rate of 10,000 lb/hr of 90% Water and 10% Alcohol
Heavy flow rate of 9,000 lb/hr of water
Light flow rate of 1,000 lb/hr of alcohol
Reflux flow rate of 10,000 lb/hr

My misunderstanding happens with the feed rate being 10,000 lb/hr and the reflux rate being 10,000 lb/hr. I have limited knowledge of the operation of towers, so this may be a dumb question.

How is the feed rate 10,000 lb/hr and the flow rate leaving the system a combined 20,000 lb/hr?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=eb8dc839-e5a7-4898-93aa-7e62dc2b0ef1&file=Capture.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The reflux is not leaving the system. Draw a boundary around the column and only three streams cross the boundary, the feed, lights, and heavies. At SS, In = Out. 10,0000 = 9,000 + 1,000. I see no problems with the diagram.

Good Luck,
Latexman

In a distillation column, the feed is separated into its components based on their differing boiling points. The vaporized components rise up the column, while the condensed liquid flows downward.

@JD,

Latexman is correct (i dont think the other read your post thoroughly ;-) So the reflux is internal and can (in theory) be any fraction of the inlet flow. Reflux is needed for improved separation of the components in the feed. The overhead is vapour (high energy) - energy is removed in the condenser - and by reintroducing this cooled stream back into the top of the column you take away some of the energy (added from the feed and from the reboiler). By cooling the light fraction you will improve separation because the heavy component(s) are more inclined to condense than the light.

Downside - increased energy consumption for cooling and heating.

--- Best regards, Morten Andersen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back