Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on Surface Roughness Callout 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryandias

Automotive
Jul 28, 2006
CA
Is there a difference between the call-outs in the image?

getfile.aspx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Second one is not wrong perse, it is normaly used for (German) Rz value's, something completely different than Ra values, watch out!

Furthermore it can also mean a certain measuring length in mm, it all depends.

3121GO, the reason I said 'may be wrong' is because while a 'number' can go in that location and mean something, it doesn't mean what I took the OP wanted it to mean.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Both are showing the same thing. The right one is correct as per current ISO standards (BS and DIN included) but both are suspect as they do not denote Ra or Rz. In such a case the lettering is normally put before the number using the symbol shown on the right to read "Ra 1.6"

Ninja182

No need of mentioning Ra. Just value is Enough.
But for Rz we need to show Rz along with value.

NX 6.0.2.8 MP4
Teamcenter 2007
WINDOWS XP (64 Bit)

I work for a firm where most of the components use Ra but some running surfaces require Rz, I think its mainly to keep the drawings looking tidy that our internal standards dictate we lable both.

The other reason im all for it is that it's 2 characters and I'm all for stamping out every trace of ambiguity - have come across far too many people trusted to read drawings who given the chance will misinterpret everything they can get away with.

Will Walters
Sheffield UK
Designer of machine tools - user of modified screws

"The other reason im all for it is that it's 2 characters and I'm all for stamping out every trace of ambiguity - have come across far too many people trusted to read drawings who given the chance will misinterpret everything they can get away with."

This is what experience brings, sense! I fully agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back