Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Question to Florida engineers

struct_eeyore

Structural
Feb 21, 2017
US
Does anyone know when Florida started requiring engineers (or architects) to stamp design drawings for single family homes?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

JAE - correct. I'm working on a residential building from mid 70s and need to know if it would have been built per an engineered design, or just by a contractor, per standard/prescriptive practice

Search the SSBC that went into affect around 1973.

Also, if your project is located in south Florida, Miami Dade and surrounding areas created a 'South Florida Building Code' around the late 1950's. You'll have to see if any archived versions of these codes shed light on the residential aspect.

I've seen drawings going back as far as the 1940s that were signed/sealed, but they were large public structures.

There are still sections of the Florida building code that allow you to build prescriptively. So just knowing when a house was built wouldn't tell you if it had been engineered. And even if it should have been doesn't mean it actually was.

pham,

Technically yes, but every jurisdiction I've worked with always required architect/engineer stamped drawings. Based on what I've read up on in the last day, the stamp requirements do seem to be very much jurisdiction based - might try calling the county, but I doubt anyone there has any idea.

It's regarding a forensic report I'm putting together for a post hurricane failure. It would help my case to be able to say the building was built per typical construction practice, rather than being an engineered design.

@struct_eeyore - Interesting, thanks for the response, was trying to wrap my head around why you would need to know it and this makes sense.

Back