Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

questions about exporting dxf

Status
Not open for further replies.

midnightmetalworks

Industrial
Mar 10, 2007
US
Hi all, Im new to solidworks and having some trouble integrating this software into my business. I am an artist that does a lot of cnc plasma cutting on a Torchmate table i own and would love to use the power of solidworks to help me get better toolpaths to cut out on my cnc. I make sculpture and have always used the cad software that the machine came with but now im applying for larger public art projects that require a lot more complex designing. So Im at the point where ive got the part i want all nice and good to go... I make a drawing from the part. save as a dxf. import into my Torchmate software. make tool paths as usual. export it into fgc... open and cut. In theory this all works flawlessly but in practice, well lets say im still practicing. Has anyone here used solidworks for cnc plasma cutting of sheet metal? I need some advice.
My name is Ethan Kerber. Im an avid kitesurfer and welder in the sf bay area. you can see my art at midnightmetalworks.com Thank so much for all you advice!-ethan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not familiar with Torchmate or fgc, but normally you save a drawing as DXF and should work.

Chris
SolidWorks 07 2.2/PDMWorks 07
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 02-10-07)

1st response, so correct me as necessary. I send DXF's most days to CNC, albeit plastic components. As Chris says, simply save DWG as DXF. To ensure the correct scale, I assume you have changed the properties on your DWG (right click, properties, enter same scale as the DWG you first created)then,when you save as ,goto options and check that the sheet scale is selected from the drop down box. This should ensure correct correct scale for the DXF, if you have Autocad you can double check the scale there. Please excuse me if all the above is teaching you to suck eggs, but that's the way I do save as DXF. (unless I use our DXF batch converter :) ). Hope this is useful.

Jason
SolidWorks 07 2.2
PDMWorks 07
CS2

Can you be more specific about the DXF (or other) problems you are having?

BTW, I cannot connect to but is working OK.

Are you intending to create 3D models of the sculptures? If so, be aware that some sheet metal parts (bowl shapes) cannot be flattened using SolidWorks. Also note that fully mating parts in assemblies similar to the examples shown in your site would be ... [ponder] ... tedious if not problemtic.

[cheers]

Ethan,

As CBL states, we could provide you better assistance if you provide more specifics of your problem. In particular here are few questions to help us get there:
1. Can you flatten your part using the SWX sheetmetal function? If not then it sounds like you are having some trouble getting your DXF properly recognized by your CNC software.
2. How are you generating the DXF from SWX? When we create a DXF for feeding to our turret presses we add a blank sheet to our drawing file (no title block, no dimensions, no bend lines, etc., just the object lines representing the cut boundary). We make sure that sheet and the view are at 1:1 scale, even if the object lines go beyond the "paper" of the sheet. We then save this drawing view as DXF and we get just the object lines of the cuts.
3. Have you tried pulling your SWX-created DXF file into your previous CAD system to see what it looks like there? This might reveal lines or other entities that should not be there.
4. Are you using any form tools in your SWX part? These will not flatten. (We use louvers in some of our parts. We cannot put these in the part prior to inserting bends, they have to go in after and before processing bends. We then have to use a bit of trickery to create the object lines for our turret press programming software to recognize it.)

- - -Updraft

Hey all thanks for your replies. I have figured out some ggod settings and am gonna run some test cuts from those dxfs. later on. I have some other questions but maybe ill start a new thread . thanks again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back