Questions for Mechanical engineer technologist 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBX

Mechanical
Apr 9, 2004
CA
Any of you guys ME technologists?

Ive been an ME tech for about 6 years designing machines and i love it..but i would like to perfect myself and thinking of taking some extra course at Uni.(maybe some kinematics and some structural courses)

Just wondering if you guys ever felt the need to get a few extra engineering courses at Uni wich and which ones?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I graduated from an ME Technologist program before going to University, where I spent another 5 years earning my degree (there was a year of work sandwiched in those 5 years).

I think the courses you might want to take really depend on what sort of changes you want to make in your career.

My experience has been that many uni courses have prerequisites, presenting some significant barriers to entry. Also, my former university didn't admit people on a course by course basis.. you had to be in a full or part time degree program to take the courses. There were courses offered as part of the "continuing education" department, but most of these were focused around project management and not techie stuff like structures or kinematics. I'm positive that there are other universities out there that are not so restrictive in their admission policies, but it's still something to watch out for.

Also, you may not want to focus solely on university courses. Colleges have some great courses as well that can serve towards your professional development. Again, it all really depends on what you're looking for down the road.

I am not sure, but certain, that your MET classes will not go towards an engineering degree and this may also include the math and sci classes. So you may have to start at the beginning or close to it. Go for it though.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."

I have a EET degree and am looking to take some graduate electrical engineering courses in the near future. It has been my experience that, if you contact the professor and present your case, they are often helpful. If you can informally prove to him/her that you are fully capable, they will generally admit you.

If you are considering a full graduate degree (which I am), it's a bit harder. You may be required to take a prerequisite or two. But again, they are usually willing to listen.

Why do you want to take classes in uni? It will take you 2-3 years of full time work to upgrade to a B.Eng. from MET.
Without the upgrade, taking classes doesn't benefit you.

[peace]
Fe

FeX32,

Taking classes can be of benefit regardless of whether it ever leads to a degree. There may not be a monetary reward associated to a handful of courses, but the knowledge obtained should be useful regardless.

I hope we are all continuing to increase our knowledge over our years. Structured courses are one of the ways that can be done. We might argue over the relative efficiency of classes vs. other methods, but I'd hate to think there was an arguement that classes are not useful.

RBX,
I don't fall into the technologist label, but I would think your work would indicate areas you would potentially like to know more about or otherwise don't fully understand. Look for classes that might bridge that knowledge gap.

Its to further hone my skills i dont know about MET courses in the US but in canada its very a complete course.
I had the same number of machine design, materials and physics courses as my friends with BA in ME.

I think it would more geared towards some structural courses as i think its lacking at both level (ME and MET.)

Just on a side note
I dont really like the description given by

I design machines from A to Z with NO input from any ME "sorry had to get that one of my chest":)
I just read alot of misguided descriptions of MET.

RBX,

I think the quality (or content, rather) of an engineering technology program varies significantly between schools, which is where the stereotype comes from. There are some schools from which a graduate is qualified to be a technician, and some schools from which a graduate is qualified to be an engineer. If I were to do it over again, I'd probably study engineering, just to make some things (Master degree, PE) easier. But I think that aside from making these things a bit easier, I wouldn't be much better off.

If you don't want to go all the way to a second degree, you may consider an academic certificate. Some schools offer these, but not all. It is 4-5 courses in a specialized area. Afterward you get some paper that says you completed it. I like to equate it to a graduate level minor. I don't know that it's thought of any higher than taking a few random courses... but at least you have something to show your employer.

Twoballcane said:
So what is the difference between a MET and ME in Canada if the class work is about the same?

I am a mechanical engineering technologist in Canada, and I have a three year diploma. There is a path from technologist with three year diploma, to Professional Engineer, but I have not looked into it. The PEO would hand me a list of courses to take, and at the end, I would have the equivalent of a four year degree.

Critter.gif
JHG

Thanks for the insight.

"I had the same number of machine design, materials and physics courses as my friends with BA in ME."

Did you take heat transfer, thermodynamics, statics, vibration, fluids...etc in MET?

"I think it would more geared towards some structural courses as i think its lacking at both level (ME and MET.)"

What structural are you looking for? If you are talking about beam theory, failure theory, determinate statics...etc in ME (well here in the states) it is under statics and mechanical engineering design (Shigley).

Tobalcane

To Twoballcane:

Not covered:

Heat transfers,Thermo, vibration,fluids

Fea is also not covered

Covered subjects:

Beam theory(Mohr circle, combined load etc)

Machine design(calculating all elements of machine designs bearings shaft Failure theory etc)

Robotics and automations

Tolerancing(geo and stacking)

Heat treatment etc.

I should have specified that i was looking for courses that would be helpul to my experience hence why i excluded thermo and vibration courses.

The machines that i designs thermo transfer and vibrations are not critical, but structural courses would be helpful.
Now with materials courses,machine design you can deduce what is structually sound but i would i have liked to go even further.

I think what Trchambe suggested is interesting as i could pick only course that are relevant to my experience.

I would like to better myself and a clear list of which course would give me that extra nudge.

Its not really to climb up the ladder as we are only two in the design firm where i work:)

But being only two us i cannot really on no one else so you have to be very well rounded.

Thnaks agains for any help:)

What are you looking for in a structural course that is not already covered under ME? Other than building codes, ME has statics, stress analysis, and failure theories. Civil Structure courses would be more focused on bridges and buildings where ME would be towards mechanical systems which is something you work on.

Tobalcane

I mean no offense to anyone but the MET's courses in Canada are extremely easy compared to a B.Eng. (accredited) program.
I am not saying null about the content of the courses. But, I have a close friend who did both the MET and B.Eng. He always ranted about how he learned nothing in the MET course compared to the B.Eng.
The math skills of an MET are drastically deficient for any kind of advanced analysis.

I know some of you will hate me for saying this, but it's true.

{Also, I know some keen MET's do teach themselves more then regular...but that is besides the case}

[peace]
Fe

The bottom line is that there is an MET degree, and there is a BSME degree. Regardless of how anyone wants to argue about it, most companies will not accept anything other than a BSME for a mechanical engineering position. Since ASME also makes a distinction, it's clear that the degrees are not equivalent.

Whether any particular person is working above, or below, his abilities is altogether a different and irrelevant question.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

RBX,

As I mentioned above, I am looking into graduate electrical engineering courses. The math is definitely more difficult in engineering than engineering technology, but it is not impossible. Again though, I really do think the engineering technology programs vary considerably between schools.

IRstuff,

Most of my EET classmates have gone on to be engineers without any problem. I'm curious, would you say that mechanical engineering requires more advanced math in day to day work? You seem to have some experience in both fields, so may be better qualified to answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back