Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Questions on PE license requirement:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kunaal

Mechanical
Jun 25, 2003
US
As i understand the manufacturing industry is exempt to require PEs for "internal engineering" or "research and development in connection with the manufacture of that product". I still have some specific questions which I hope someone can clarify:

1) Can a company build a platform or a stage for a trade show where it will showcase its products and is open for the visiting public to climb onto and walk on without the employment of a PE? The total lift capacity for this application would be in the tens of thousands of pounds region.

2) Can titles such as "Project Engineer" and "Director of Engineering" be handed out on business cards to outsiders from people not licenced? Is it worse if they do not even hold a BS degree? Can you introduce yourself with the above titles when working on installations of your products in the field?

3) What overrides in a decision on an issue which an employed PE ascertains will endanger public(customer) health and safety, the PE or Management? What are the legal ramifications of either decision if any?

I know the last question is vague and I would appreciate a generalized answer if possible. It may be useful to know that these questions pertain to practices in North Carolina. Thank you in advance for your answers.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Kunaal,

I would encourage you to check with the local engineering board in the state or region where the physical stage equipment is provided. It would be my guess that since you are providing "structures" for human occupancy (even though they are temporary) you are practicing engineering and are therefore subject to the laws.

This is a gray area though as an internal "engineer" could work for John Deere and put out a tractor that is also occupied by humans who are dependent upon its proper engineering for their safety.

So for your question 1) I would say - probably but check.

For question 2) - you can usually put the title ENGINEER on a card or letter if you are not holding yourself out to sell engineering services to the public. If it is an internal title, most states allow this. But the minute you have ENGINEER on your card, and then start selling your consulting services - violation.

For question 3)- if you are a licensed engineer - by law you MUST notify or respond to a situation where you know there is danger to the public. Even if you are not a licensed engineer, and you know of a problem, you ethically, and probably legally, have a duty to respond.

But a stage is more building-like and may fall under the boards jurisdiction. Check with them to see.

The answers to your questions will depend on the jurisdiction. I'm licensed in Texas and Californa; my comments should be viewed with this information in mind.

1) Can a company build a platform or a stage for a trade show where it will showcase its products and is open for the visiting public to climb onto and walk on without the employment of a PE? The total lift capacity for this application would be in the tens of thousands of pounds region.

It depends on the city, the building code, and the manager of the facility. If no one enforces the rules, or if no rule exists...
[green][We need a structural engineer with a knowledge of building codes to weigh in on this one.][/green]

2) Can titles such as "Project Engineer" and "Director of Engineering" be handed out on business cards to outsiders from people not licenced?

No.

Is it worse if they do not even hold a BS degree? Can you introduce yourself with the above titles when working on installations of your products in the field?

No. And No.

3) What overrides in a decision on an issue which an employed PE ascertains will endanger public(customer) health and safety, the PE or Management? What are the legal ramifications of either decision if any?

The P.E. must hold to a higher standard than (non-licensed) management. State law - via his/her professional license - mandates that the public health, safety and welfare come before all else - including one's employment.

I know the last question is vague and I would appreciate a generalized answer if possible. It may be useful to know that these questions pertain to practices in North Carolina. Thank you in advance for your answers.

I don't think your questions were terribly vague...

[pacman]

It is not uncommom for people to be seriously injured or even killed in the collapse of a wooden deck attached to the back of a house or apartment, for example, the recent Chicago(?) deck collapse which killed 13 people and injured dozens more. Your platform is to be loaded much, much heavier than any wooden deck. It would be foolish, not to mention probably illegal, for anyone or any company to build such a stage or platform without proper engineering by a licensed, insured engineer.

I believe that the Pennsylvania P.E. Board recently lost in a court action against someone who called himself a Project Engineer without any P.E. license. The laws say you can't call yourself an engineer or offer engineering services if you are not licensed. However, who knows what a court will rule in such an action.

You can call yourself an engineer, just not a professional engineer, at least in Utah.

#1 No, you will need a licensed engineer to review.

#2 Yes, imo. See my comment above. My dad's business card says 'Drilling Fluids Engineer'. He is not a licensed engineer and does not have a degree but he makes twice as much as me. ;)

I also have neighbors that work for a very well known computer company that have engineering titles, degrees, and directory of engineering titles. They are not violating any laws unless they call themselves professional engineers and sell their engineering services outside of their company.

#3 I agree with the other comments on this one.

MikeD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back