Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick Inlet Capacity Eq??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xbxaddict

Civil/Environmental
Mar 18, 2004
US
Anyone know of a good, general equation determining the capacity of an inlet? My basin in question is in a parking lot low point; Given dimensions and open area of the casting, what Q can it take before it ponds a given depth?
I found one that says Q(cfs)=3.0(grate permimeter)(depth of ponding)^(3/2) but this doesnt take into account open area.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The equation needs to take into account basin dimensions and slope of approaching pavement as well as desired depth of ponding.

You can use the standard weir and orifice equations for sag conditions or a nomograph for splash over velocity from HEC-22/12.

Weir:
Qw = Cf x Cw x Pw x Y^1.5
Cf = clogging factor
Cw = weir coefficient, typically 3.0
Pw = weir perimeter
Y = Ponding Depth

Orifice:
Qo = Cf x Co x Ag x (2gY)^0.5
Cf = Clogging Factor
Co = orifice coefficient, 0.67
Ag = Clear open Area of Grate or?
g = gravity 32.2
Y = Ponding Depth

You originally found the weir equation but i reproduced anyway. Clogging is a safety factor. I typically use 50% or 0.5 for sag conditions. You can graph flows vs depths for various catch basin configurations and keep them handy for quick reference. I them for 6 or 7 different cbs. Graph both weir and orifice on same chart to see where each control the head. Good luck and have fun with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back